Conversation Two
对话二
Listen to the conversation, mark each question as A, B, C or D according to what you hear.
听对话,根据对话内容选出最佳答案,并将答案的标号A,B,C,D写在答题纸上的相应位置。
Hello and welcome to Language Café. My name is Carl!
你好,欢迎来到语言咖啡馆。我叫卡尔!
Hey, Jody, I’ve heard you’ve been learning Chinese for a while.
嘿,乔迪,我听说你学中文有一段时间了。
Can you say something about your learning, like why you learn it and whether you’ve met any difficulties?
你能谈谈你的学习情况吗?比如你为什么要学中文?你有没有遇到过困难?
Actually I started studying Chinese when I arrived in China.
其实我到中国的时候才开始学中文。
I didn’t know any Chinese before that time, Carl.
卡尔,在那之前我一点中文都不懂。
I arrived in Shanghai when I was 21 years old, not speaking any Chinese.
我21岁时来到上海,不会说中文。
And I arrived at the train station at 3 o’clock in the morning surrounded by people who didn’t speak my language.
我在凌晨3点到达火车站,周围的人都听不懂我的语言。
And I can tell you it was a little frightening.
我可以告诉你这有点吓人。
So, I did the only thing I knew...I sang a song, “Rain drops keep falling on my head.”
于是,我做了一件我唯一知道的事……我唱了一首歌,“雨滴不停地落在我头上。”
And everyone started laughing and it made the situation better.
所有人都大笑起来,这让情况有所好转。
Actually, one of my friends said that he began studying in college while he was in the United States.
事实上,我的一个朋友说,他在美国的时候在大学里就开始学中文了。
I did not do that.
我没有那么做。
I got a scholarship to leave the country and go to China and study, and I took advantage of it.
我得到了出国去中国留学的奖学金,我利用了这个机会。
I really wanted to go abroad to study and China seemed like the most foreign place on the planet.
我真的很想出国留学,而中国似乎是地球上最陌生的地方。
Two of the most challenging things when you study Chinese, in particular, are the tones and the characters.
特别是在学习中文时,最具挑战性的两件事是声调和汉字。
I think that’s just extremely difficult.
我认为这是非常困难的。
And it was frustrating to be teaching...teaching kindergarten kids and realizing that their reading was much better than mine.
我在教书……教幼儿园的孩子时,发现他们的阅读能力比我强得多,这很令人沮丧。
Oh, definitely. The tones and the characters, yes, they’re so difficult.
哦,当然。音调和汉字,是的,它们太难了。
We’re just not used to them.
我们只是不习惯它们。
We’re not used to the strict tonal aspect of Chinese.
我们不习惯汉语严格的声调。
The best thing to do when you’re learning Chinese is to be around a lot of four-year-olds.
当你学习中文的时候,最好的办法就是和一群四岁的孩子在一起。
And the reason I say that is because their level of Chinese and yours are at the very beginning quite similar.
我之所以这样说,是因为他们的中文水平和你们一开始的中文水平很相似。
You can have these great conversations like “I’m hungry!” “I like blue.” “I want the ball!”
你们可以进行这样的对话,比如“我饿了!”“我喜欢蓝色。”“我想要球!”
And so, I thought it was great to be able to do that...very simple Chinese expressions with four and five-year-olds.
因此,我认为能够做到这一点是很棒的……对于四五岁的孩子来说,这些都是非常简单的中文表达。
Yeah. I didn’t teach small children.
是的。我没有教过小孩子。
I taught university students and we mostly used English.
我教大学生,我们主要用英语。
But I did have the opportunity to make friends with students in the music department and I learned several Chinese pop songs and I was able to perform with them and sing Chinese songs at concerts.
但我确实有机会和音乐系的学生交朋友,我学了几首中文流行歌曲,我能够和他们一起表演,在音乐会上唱中文歌。
And when you’re a foreigner living in China you get asked to do television commercials and acting shows.
当你是一个住在中国的外国人时,你会被邀请去拍电视广告和表演节目。
Not only the language, but most importantly, the culture and how people live their lives and make a living and have fun.
不仅是语言,最重要的是文化和人们如何生活、谋生和娱乐。