"Is this a practical joke?" asked Arthur.
“是一个恶作剧吗?”阿瑟问道。
"Not at all. The offer is completely genuine."
“绝对不是。报酬是确定无疑的。”
"You aren't making sense," Arthur said. "I think you'd better leave."
“完全不知道你在说什么,”阿瑟说,“我想你最好离开。”
Mr. Steward rose, "Of course."
斯图沃德先生站了起来,“当然。”
"And take your button unit with you."
“把你的按钮装置也带走。”
"Are you sure you wouldn't care to think about it?"
“你确定不用再考虑一下吗?”
Arthur picked up the button unit and thrust it into Mr. Steward's hands. He walked into the hall and pulled open the door.
阿瑟拿起按钮装置,把它塞进了斯图沃德先生的手里。他走到门厅,拉开了门。
"I'll leave my card," said Mr. Steward. He placed it on the table. When he was gone, Arthur tore it in half and tossed the pieces onto the table. Norma was still sitting on the sofa. "What do you think it was?" she asked.
“我把名片留在这儿,”斯图沃德先生说着把名片放到了桌子上。他走后,阿瑟把它撕成了两半,扔在桌子上。诺玛仍然坐在沙发上。“你认为那会是什么?”她问。
"I don't care to know," he answered.
“我才不想知道呢,”他回答道。
She tried to smile.
她挤出一丝笑容。
Later that evening as they went into the bedroom, Norma picked up the subject, "You think it's a practical joke?"
当天晚上,当他们走进卧室时,诺玛又重新提起了这个话题:“你认为那是个恶作剧?”
"If it is, it's a sick one."
“如果是,也是令人讨厌的恶作剧。”
Norma sat on her bed and took off her slippers. "Maybe it's some kind of psychological research."
诺玛坐在床上,脱下拖鞋:“或许是某种心理研究。”
Arthur shrugged, "Could be."
阿瑟耸了耸肩说:“也许吧。”
"Wouldn't you like to know?"
“你不想知道?”
Arthur shook his head.
阿瑟摇了摇头。
"Why?"
“为什么?”
"Because it's immoral," he told her.
“因为那是不道德的,”他对她说。
Norma slid beneath the covers. "Well, I think it's intriguing," she said.
诺玛钻进被窝。“我倒觉得挺有趣的,”她说。
Arthur turned off the lamp and leaned over to kiss her. "Good night," he said.
阿瑟关了灯,靠过去吻了吻她。“晚安,”他说。
"Good night," she patted his back.
“晚安。”她轻轻拍了一下他的后背。