But then something strange happened out of the blue.
但突然发生了一些奇怪的事情
And it started like any other time.
一开始跟之前一样
We were tracking along with a family that we didn't know before, and there was one whale that sort of came a bit closer, and then it tilted upwards.
我们在追踪一个陌生的鲸群 有一头鲸靠近我们 然后把身体竖了起来
She's sending out a sonar pulse, scanning my body, your kidney, your lungs, your rib cage.
它发出声纳脉冲 扫描我的身体 肾脏 肺 胸腔
She's really getting a full 3D picture of what I am, of my interior.
就像给我的身体来了个三维成像
Nobody knew this whale.
没有人认识这条鲸鱼
I could see she had was like a fresh wound on the side of her face from what was obviously a squid scratch when feeding on some giant squid.
我看到它脸上有一道新伤口 很明显是在吃巨型乌贼时被乌贼抓伤的
When sperm whales first see each other in the Eastern Caribbean, they make a clicking sound in a very distinct pattern.
东加勒比海的抹香鲸第一次见到同类时 会发出一种非常独特的咔哒声
Tick-tick, tick-tick-tick.
嘀嘀 嘀嘀嘀
Like morse code.
就像摩斯电码
Just on a whim I knocked the side of my camera housing.
突然间 我敲击了相机外壳
Tick-tick, tick-tick-tick.
嘀嘀 嘀嘀嘀
And immediately, it only took one time.
然后很快 发生了一件事
She stopped completely, and then slowly inverted her body and turned completely around, and eventually came face to face with me again from maybe two feet away.
它停了下来 然后慢慢地把身体倒过来 完全转过身来 跟我面对面 距离我大约两英尺
And then I tried some physical actions, then I rolled in the water.
然后我尝试了一些肢体动作 我在水里转了个圈
And then I watched and she rolled in the water.
然后我看到它也在水里转圈
Nobody knew this whale.
没有人认识这条鲸鱼
She hadn't been named yet.
它还没有名字
So I called her Delores.
所以我叫它德洛丽丝
After about 45 minutes, she slowly rolled over and just disappeared down into the depths.
大约45分钟后 它慢慢地翻了个身 消失在深海里
There are lots of reasons that draw me back to Dominica, but she quickly became the whale that I wanted to see the most.
我回到多米尼加岛有很多原因 但它很快就成了我最想看到的鲸鱼