"I will attend to you tomorrow. You shall have neither breakfast, dinner, nor supper!"
“我明天再来收拾你。罚你不吃早饭、午饭,也没有晚饭!”
"I have not had either dinner or supper today, Miss Minchin," said Sara, rather faintly.
“我今天就没吃过午饭和晚饭,铭钦女士,”萨拉有气无力地说。
"Then all the better. You will have something to remember. Don't stand there. Put those things into the hamper again."
“那更好。你将记住这个教训。别站在那儿。把那些东西放回篮里去。”
She began to sweep them off the table into the hamper herself, and caught sight of Ermengarde's new books.
铭钦女士自己动手把它们从桌上一扫而光地放进篮子,这时瞥见了埃芒加德的那些新书。
"And you"—to Ermengarde—"have brought your beautiful new books into this dirty attic.
“而你,”——对着埃芒加德——“竟把你这些漂亮的新书拿进这肮脏的阁楼。
Take them up and go back to bed. You will stay there all day tomorrow, and I shall write to your papa.
把它们收起来,回房睡觉去。明天你整天都得呆在那儿,我还要给你爸爸写信。
What would he say if he knew where you are tonight?"
如果他知道了你今晚在哪儿,看他会说什么?”
Something she saw in Sara's grave, fixed gaze at this moment made her turn on her fiercely.
此刻她从萨拉阴沉呆滞的目光中看到了什么,使她恶狠狠地转向萨拉。
"What are you thinking of?" she demanded. "Why do you look at me like that?"
“你在想什么?”她追问道。“为什么像那样看着我?”
"I was wondering," answered Sara, as she had answered that notable day in the schoolroom.
“我在纳闷,”萨拉回答,就像那难忘的一天她在教室里那样回答。
"What were you wondering?"
“你纳闷什么?”
It was very like the scene in the schoolroom. There was no pertness in Sara's manner. It was only sad and quiet.
此情此景极像那次在教室里的样子。萨拉的态度中并不含有冒犯的成分。只有默默的悲哀。
"I was wondering," she said in a low voice, "what my papa would say if he knew where I am tonight."
“我在纳闷,”她说,语音低沉,“如果我爸爸知道了我今晚在什么地方,他会说什么。”
Miss Minchin was infuriated just as she had been before and her anger expressed itself, as before, in an intemperate fashion.
铭钦女士完全像前一次那样被激怒了,她的怒火表现得像前一次那样极其放纵。
She flew at her and shook her.
她飞也似地朝萨拉扑过去,把她摇撼起来。
"You insolent, unmanageable child!" she cried. "How dare you! How dare you!"
“你这傲慢无礼、难以管教的孩子!”她大叫道。“你好大胆!你好大胆!”
She picked up the books, swept the rest of the feast back into the hamper in a jumbled heap,
她捡起那些书,连同餐桌上所剩的东西都扫进里面乱成一堆的篮子,
thrust it into Ermengarde's arms, and pushed her before her toward the door.
把它塞进埃芒加德的怀抱,把她推向门口。
"I will leave you to wonder," she said. "Go to bed this instant."
“我让你留在这儿去纳闷,”她说。“立即上床去。”