手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

可持续的第一代人(3)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Leon   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Now if we're going to have renewables, we're going to need energy storage.

现在,如果我们要拥有可再生能源,我们就需要储能。

But there's good news there too.

但是那里也有好消息。

The price of batteries has fallen by 98 percent since 1990.

自1990年以来,电池的价格已经下降了98%。

If you take the battery you'd find in a Tesla today, go back to 1990, it would have cost one million dollars.

如果你拿今天在特斯拉中找到的电池,可以追溯到1990年,它将花费一百万美元。

It now costs just 12,000.

现在它的价格仅为12,000英镑。

That’s completely transformed the world of energy storage and completely transformed the world of transport.

这彻底改变了储能世界,彻底改变了交通世界。

Global sales of petrol and diesel cars have already peaked -- they peaked in 2017, and they are now falling.

汽油和柴油车的全球销量已经达到顶峰——它们在2017年达到顶峰,现在正在下降。

Taking their place are electric cars, where, in a space of just a few years, sales are going through the roof.

取而代之的是电动汽车,在短短几年内,电动汽车的销量将达到顶峰。

And from energy and transport to the food we eat, you might imagine that global deforestation is at its highest level ever.

从能源和交通到我们吃的食物,你可以想象全球森林砍伐正处于有史以来的最高水平。

But actually, global deforestation peaked decades ago and is now falling.

但实际上,全球森林砍伐在几十年前达到顶峰,现在正在下降。

But actually, it's better than that, because many countries are now regrowing their old forests, such that the net decline is even more impressive.

但实际上,这比这要好,因为许多国家现在正在重新种植其古老的森林,因此净减少幅度更大。

Now, why is this happening?

现在,为什么会发生这种情况?

A big driver has been increases in crop yields.

一个重要的驱动因素是农作物产量的增加。

For all of our agricultural history, crop yields were low and stagnant.

在我们所有的农业历史中,农作物产量都很低而且停滞不前。

Farmers had basically no opportunities to increase them.

农民基本上没有机会增加农民。

Over the last century, across many countries and many different crop types, crop yields have skyrocketed.

上个世纪,在许多国家和许多不同的作物类型中,农作物产量猛增。

Here, we see it for the US, for corn, where yields have grown sixfold, from two tonnes to 12 tonnes.

在这里,我们看到了美国的玉米,其产量增长了六倍,从2吨增加到12吨。

Now what this means is we can grow a lot more food from a lot less land.

现在这意味着我们可以用更少的土地种植更多的食物。

The amount of land used to produce corn in the US has not increased in over a century, but look at the change in corn production.

一个多世纪以来,美国用于生产玉米的土地数量没有增加,但看看玉米产量的变化。

My main point here is that in the past, human progress had to come at the cost of the environment.

我的主要观点是,过去,人类的进步必须以牺牲环境为代价。

If we wanted energy, we had to burn wood or we had to burn fossil fuels.

如果我们想要能源,就必须烧木头,或者必须燃烧化石燃料。

If we wanted to grow more food, we had to expand farmland, often at the cost of forests.

如果我们想种更多的粮食,就必须扩大农田,这往往是以牺牲森林为代价。

But technology and innovation means we're very quickly decoupling these impacts, such that this conflict is no longer true.

但是技术和创新意味着我们很快就脱钩了这些影响,因此这种冲突已不再是真的。

Let's then think about the world that we can have.

然后让我们想一想我们可以拥有的世界。

We need to achieve the first half of our equation.

我们需要实现方程式的前半部分。

We need to end global poverty.

我们需要消除全球贫困。

And here, I'm not talking about raising everyone above a two-dollar-a-day poverty line.

在这里,我说的不是要把所有人提高到每天两美元的贫困线以上。

That is simply not good enough.

这根本不够好。

We need to provide everyone with a good, comfortable life.

我们需要为每个人提供美好、舒适的生活。

No child should die from a cause that’s preventable.

任何儿童都不应死于可以预防的原因。

Every child should get the opportunity to go to school and get an education.

每个孩子都应该有机会上学接受教育。

At the same time, we need to peak and reduce our CO2 emissions; we need to move away from fossil fuels; and we need to end deforestation, while feeding eight, nine, ten billion people, at the same time.

同时,我们需要达到峰值并减少二氧化碳排放;我们需要摆脱化石燃料;我们需要结束森林砍伐,同时养活八、九、一百亿人。

How do we do that? How do we become the First Generation?

我们该怎么做?我们如何成为第一代?

First, our low-carbon technologies need to become the default.

首先,我们的低碳技术需要成为默认技术。

There's two ways to do this.

有两种方法可以做到这一点。

The first is to make sure that they are affordable, to make sure that they are the cheapest option.

首先是确保它们价格合理,确保它们是最便宜的选择。

Solar and wind are already cheaper than coal, electric cars will soon be cheaper than gasoline, and alternative proteins need to be cheaper than meat.

太阳能和风能已经比煤炭便宜,电动汽车很快就会比汽油便宜,替代蛋白必须比肉类便宜。

The other way to do this is to make sure these technologies are better.

另一种方法是确保这些技术更好。

Environmental products have often been promoted as this happy gimmick, but they need to go mainstream, and for that, they need to be better than the high-carbon alternatives.

环保产品经常被宣传为这种快乐的花招,但它们需要成为主流,为此,它们需要比高碳替代品更好。

Now my brother recently got an electric car.

现在我哥哥最近买了一辆电动车。

He didn't get an electric car because he really cares about the environment.

他没有买电动汽车,因为他真的很关心环境。

He does not want to be the next Greta Thunberg.

他不想成为下一个格里塔·桑伯格。

And he definitely does not want to be like me.

而且他绝对不想像我一样。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
transport [træns'pɔ:t]

想一想再看

n. 运输、运输工具;(常用复数)强烈的情绪(狂喜或狂怒

联想记忆
produce [prə'dju:s]

想一想再看

n. 产品,农作物
vt. 生产,提出,引起,

联想记忆
default [di'fɔ:lt]

想一想再看

n. 假设值,默认(值), 不履行责任,缺席 v. 默认

联想记忆
environment [in'vaiərənmənt]

想一想再看

n. 环境,外界

 
decline [di'klain]

想一想再看

n. 衰微,跌落; 晚年
v. 降低,婉谢

 
corn [kɔ:n]

想一想再看

n. 谷物,小麦,玉米
v. 形成(颗粒状),

 
stagnant ['stægnənt]

想一想再看

adj. 不流动的,不景气的

联想记忆
innovation [.inəu'veiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 创新,革新

联想记忆
preventable [pri'ventəbl, pri:-]

想一想再看

adj. 可预防的;可阻止的;可防止的

 
global ['gləubəl]

想一想再看

adj. 全球性的,全世界的,球状的,全局的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。