The fat man with sweet stink in his hair …
头发里有香味的胖子……
“Illyrio?” she said.
“伊利里欧?”她猜测,
“You were sent by Magister Illyrio?”
“伊利里欧总督派你们来的?”
“We were, Your Grace,” old Whitebeard replied.
“是,陛下,”白胡老人回答。
“The Magister begs your kind indulgence for sending us in his stead,
“不克亲至,总督特请恕罪。
but he cannot sit a horse as he did in his youth, and sea travel upsets his digestion.”
他年纪已经不轻,骑不上马,航海旅行又会晕船。”
Earlier he had spoken in the Valyrian of the Free Cities, but now he changed to the Common Tongue.
先前他用的是自由贸易城邦的瓦雷利亚方言,如今换为通用语。
“I regret if we caused you alarm.
“如若惊扰,咱俩深切致歉。
If truth be told, we were not certain, we expected someone more … more …”
实话实说,起初我和他都不大确定,本以为您会更有……更有……”
“Regal?” Dany laughed.
“王家风范?”丹妮笑出声来。
She had no dragon with her, and her raiment was hardly queenly.
她没带龙,衣着更和女王的打扮有天壤之别。
“You speak the Common Tongue well, Arstan.
“你的通用语说得很好,阿斯坦,
Are you of Westeros?”
你是维斯特洛人吗?”
“I am. I was born on the Dornish Marches, Your Grace.
“是,陛下,我出生于多恩边疆地,
As a boy I squired for a knight of Lord Swann’s household.”
年轻时作过史文家族中一名骑士的侍从。”
He held the tall staff upright beside him like a lance in need of a banner.
他将手杖高高举起,活像一杆没有旗帜的长枪,
“Now I squire for Belwas.”
“如今我是贝沃斯的侍从。”
“A bit old for such, aren’t you?”
“当侍从,你不觉得自己老了点吗?”
Ser Jorah had shouldered his way to her side, holding the brass platter awkwardly under his arm.
乔拉爵士挤到丹妮身边,黄铜盘子别扭地夹在掖下——
Belwas’s hard head had left it badly bent.
贝沃斯的铁头让它扭曲得厉害。
“Not too old to serve my liege, Lord Mormont.”
“为我的主人效力还不算老,莫尔蒙大人。”
“You know me as well?”
“你认识我?”
“I saw you fight a time or two.
“我见识过你的身手。
At Lannisport where you near unhorsed the Kingslayer.
在兰尼斯港,你差点把弑君者打下马;
And on Pyke, there as well.
在派克岛,你英勇作战。
You do not recall, Lord Mormont?”
这些事,你都不记得了罢,莫尔蒙伯爵?”
Ser Jorah frowned.
乔拉爵士皱起眉头。
“Your face seems familiar, but there were hundreds at Lannisport and thousands on Pyke.
“你看起来很面熟,但兰尼斯港的比武大会有数百人参加,攻打派克更出动了数千名骑士,我想不起你是谁。
And I am no lord.
不过提醒你,我已经不是伯爵,
Bear Island was taken from me.
熊岛另属他人,
I am but a knight.”
我只是个流浪骑士。”
“A knight of my Queensguard.”
“你是女王铁卫的首席骑士,”
Dany took his arm.
丹妮挽起他的手臂,
“And my true friend and good counselor.”
“我忠实的朋友和优秀的顾问。”
She studied Arstan’s face.
她仔细端详阿斯坦的脸。
He had a great dignity to him, a quiet strength she liked.
他有一股强烈的威严,一种她倾慕的沉静力量。
“Rise, Arstan Whitebeard. Be welcome, Strong Belwas.
“起来,白胡子阿斯坦。也欢迎你,壮汉贝沃斯。
Ser Jorah you know.
你们已经认识了乔拉爵士,
Ko Aggo and Ko Jhogo are blood of my blood.
这两位是阿戈寇和乔戈寇,我的血盟卫。
They crossed the red waste with me, and saw my dragons born.”
他们跟随我穿越红色荒原,也亲眼目睹龙的诞生。”
“Horse boys.”
“马族小子,”
Belwas grinned toothily.
贝沃斯露齿而笑,
“Belwas has killed many horse boys in the fighting pits.
“贝沃斯在斗技场杀过许多马族小子。
They jingle when they die.”
他们死的时候铃铛作响。”