I rather wonder at the bird, for though he had been nice to her, he had also sometimes tormented her.
这鸟是有点怪;因为,彼得虽然待她好,可有时也折磨她。
I can suppose only that, like Mrs. Darling and the rest of them, she was melted because he had all his first teeth.
我只能猜想,这鸟大概也像达林太太等女人一样,看到彼得一口乳牙未换,就动了慈悲心吧。
She called out to him what she had come for, and he called out to her what she was doing there;
那鸟向彼得大声说,她来是为了什么;彼得也大声问那鸟,她在那儿干什么;
but of course neither of them understood the other's language.
不过,当然他们彼此都听不懂对方的话。
In fanciful stories people can talk to the birds freely,
在幻想故事里,人可以和鸟自由交谈。
and I wish for the moment I could pretend that this were such a story, and say that Peter replied intelligently to the Never bird;
我真愿设想,在这个故事里,事情正是这样:彼得可以和永无鸟顺利交流。
but truth is best, and I want to tell you only what really happened.
但最好还是实话实说,我只想说实际上发生的事情。
Well, not only could they not understand each other, but they forgot their manners.
那就是,他们不但彼此听不懂,连礼貌都忘记了。
"I—want—you—to—get—into—the—nest,"the bird called, speaking as slowly and distinctly as possible,"
“我——要——你——到——巢——里——来,”那鸟叫道,尽量说得慢些,清楚些,
and—then—you—can—drift—ashore, but—I—am—too—tired—to—bring—it—any—nearer—so—you—must—try—to—swim—to—it."
“那——样,你——就——可——以——漂——到——岸——上——去……可——是——我——太——累——了,不——能——再——靠——拢——你,你——得——想——法——自——己——游——过——来。”
"What are you quacking about?" Peter answered. "Why don't you let the nest drift as usual?"
“你叽叽喳喳地叫些什么呀?”彼得回答说,“你为什么不像往常一样,让你的巢随风漂流?”
"I—want—you—" the bird said, and repeated it all over.
“我——要——你——”鸟说,又重复了一遍刚才的话。
Then Peter tried slow and distinct.
接着,彼得也又慢又清楚地说:
"What—are—you—quacking—about?" and so on.
“你——叽——叽——喳——喳——地——叫——些——什——么——呀?”等等。
The Never bird became irritated; they have very short tempers.
永无鸟烦躁起来了,这种鸟脾气是很急的。
"You dunderheaded little jay," she screamed, "Why don't you do as I tell you?"
“你这个呆头呆脑、罗里罗嗦的小傻瓜,”她尖声叫道,“你为什么不照我的吩咐去做?”
Peter felt that she was calling him names, and at a venture he retorted hotly:
彼得觉出了她是在骂自己,于是他气冲冲地回敬了她一句:
"So are you!"
“骂你自己呢!”