The day agreed upon was pouring rain.
约定的那天下着倾盆大雨。
At eleven o'clock a man in a raincoat dragging a lawn-mower tapped at my front door and said that
十一点钟的时候,一个穿着雨衣的人拖着一台割草机敲了敲我的前门,说道:
Mr. Gatsby had sent him over to cut my grass.
盖茨比先生派他来给我割草。
This reminded me that I had forgotten to tell my Finn to come back so I drove into West Egg Village to search for her among soggy white-washed alleys and to buy some cups and lemons and flowers.
这让我想起我忘了告诉我芬兰的佣人回来,所以我开车到西卵村,在湿漉漉的灰白小巷里找她,买了一些杯子、柠檬和鲜花。
The flowers were unnecessary, for at two o'clock a greenhouse arrived from Gatsby's, with innumerable receptacles to contain it.
但花其实没必要买,因为两点钟的时候,盖茨比家里送来了各种鲜花,还有无数的花瓶。
An hour later the front door opened nervously, and Gatsby in a white flannel suit, silver shirt and gold-colored tie hurried in.
一个钟头以后,前门战战兢兢地开了,盖茨比匆匆走了进来,他身穿白色法兰绒西装,银色衬衫,打着金色领带。
He was pale and there were dark signs of sleeplessness beneath his eyes.
他脸色苍白,眼睛下面有黑眼圈。
"Is everything all right?" he asked immediately.
“一切都好吗?”他立刻问道。
"The grass looks fine, if that's what you mean."
“草看起来很好,如果你指的是草地。”
"What grass?" he inquired blankly. "Oh, the grass in the yard."
“什么草地?”他茫然地问。“哦,院子里的草。”
He looked out the window at it, but judging from his expression I don't believe he saw a thing.
他向窗外望去,但从他的表情来看,我相信他什么也没看到。
"Looks very good," he remarked vaguely.
“看上去很好,”他含糊地说。
"One of the papers said they thought the rain would stop about four.
“有一份报纸说,雨会在四点左右停。
I think it was 'The Journal.' Have you got everything you need in the shape of--of tea?"
我想是《纽约日报》。需要的东西都准备好了吗——比如喝茶的东西”
I took him into the pantry where he looked a little reproachfully at the Finn.
我把他领到厨房,他带着几分责备的神情望着那芬兰女人。
Together we scrutinized the twelve lemon cakes from the delicatessen shop.
我们一起研究了熟食店买的十二块柠檬蛋糕。
"Will they do?" I asked.
“这些可以吧?”我问。
"Of course, of course! They're fine!" and he added hollowly, ". . .old sport."
“当然,当然!”他们很好!”他又空洞地加了一句,“……老兄。”
The rain cooled about half-past three to a damp mist through which occasional thin drops swam like dew.
雨在三点半左右停了下来,变成了一层潮湿的雾,偶尔有几滴细细的水珠像露水一样在雾里飘动。
Gatsby looked with vacant eyes through a copy of Clay's "Economics,"
盖茨比茫然地看着一本克莱的《经济学》,
starting at the Finnish tread that shook the kitchen floor and peering toward the bleared windows from time to time
当芬兰佣人开始在厨房忙碌,他时不时地朝模糊的窗户张望,
as if a series of invisible but alarming happenings were taking place outside.
仿佛外面正在发生一系列看不见但令人担忧的事情。