Chapter 1
第一章
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.
有一天,我突然想到,在我身边蠕动的那些温暖的、吱吱叫的、有臭味的东西是我的兄弟姐妹。
I was very disappointed.
我很失望。
Though my vision had resolved itself only to the point where I could distinguish fuzzy forms in the light,
虽然我的视力只能分辨出光线下模糊的形状,
I knew that the large and beautiful shape with the long wonderful tongue was my mother.
我知道那个长着又大又漂亮的舌头的人就是我的妈妈。
I had figured out that when the chill air struck my skin it meant she had gone somewhere,
我发现当冷空气打到我的皮肤时,这意味着她去了什么地方,
but when the warmth returned it would be time to feed.
但当温暖回来的时候,就该进食了。
Often finding a place to suckle meant pushing aside what I now knew was the snout of a sibling seeking to crowd me out of my share, which was really irritating.
通常找个地方吸吮意味着要推开我现在知道的兄弟姐妹的鼻子,这真让人恼火。
I couldn't see that my brothers and sister had any purpose whatsoever.
我看不出我的兄弟姐妹有什么目的。
When my mother licked my stomach to stimulate the flow of fluids from under my tail,
当我妈妈舔我的肚子来刺激我尾巴下的液体流动时,
I blinked up at her, silently beseeching her to please get rid of the other puppies for me.
我朝她眨了眨眼睛,默默地恳求她帮我把其他小狗处理掉。
I wanted her all to myself.
我要她完全属于我。
Gradually, the other dogs came into focus, and I grudgingly accepted their presence in the nest.
渐渐地,其他的狗也出现在我的视线里,我不情愿地接受了它们在窝里的存在。
My nose soon told me I had one sister and two brothers.
我的鼻子很快告诉我,我有一个姐姐和两个哥哥。
Sister was only slightly less interested in wresting with me than my brothers, one of whom I thought of as Fast,
姐姐对和我厮混的兴趣,只比我的两个哥哥稍逊一筹,我把其中一个哥哥叫做Fast,
because he somehow always moved more quickly than I could.
因为他总是走得比我快。
The other one I mentally called Hungry,
另一个我在心里叫他Hungry,
because he whimpered whenever Mother was gone and would suckle her with an odd desperation, as if it were never enough.
因为每当母亲离开时,他都会呜咽,带着一种奇怪的绝望吮吸她的乳汁,仿佛这还远远不够。
Hungry slept more than my siblings and I did, so we often jumped on him and chewed on his face.
Hungry比我和我的兄弟姐妹睡得多,所以我们经常扑向他,咬他的脸。
Our den was scooped out underneath the black roots of a tree, and was cool and dark during the heat of the day.
我们的窝是挖在一棵黑树根底下的,在白天最热的时候又冷又黑。