The Dog and the Wolf
狗与狼
A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a House-dog who was passing by.
一只瘦骨嶙峋的狼快要饿死了,这时他碰巧遇到了一只路过的看门狗。
"Ah, Cousin," said the Dog.
“啊,表亲,”狗说。
"I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you.
“我一看就知道是怎么回事,你过着没有规律的生活,这种生活会毁了你的。
Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?"
你为什么不像我一样安稳地工作,按时吃给你的食物呢?”
"I would have no objection," said the Wolf, "if I could only get a place."
狼说:“如果我能有个地方住,我不反对。”
"I will easily arrange that for you," said the Dog; "come with me to my master and you shall share my work."
狗说:“我轻而易举就能为你安排好住处;跟我去见我的主人,你可以分担我的工作。”
So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together.
于是狼和狗一起回到了村子。
On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog's neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.
在路上,狼注意到狗的脖子上有一圈没有毛,他问狗为什么会那样。
"Oh, it is nothing," said the Dog.
狗说:“噢,没什么”。
"That is only the place where the collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it."
“那只是主人为了拴住我晚上给我戴项圈的地方,它有点磨脖子,但很快就会习惯的。”
"Is that all?" said the Wolf.
狼说:“就是因为这个原因吗?”
"Then good-bye to you, Master Dog."
“那么,再见了,狗少爷。”
Better starve free than be a fat slave.
挨饿而拥有自由,胜过饱食终日的奴隶。