"She said that she would dance with me if I brought her red roses,"
“她说我若为她采得红玫瑰,便与我跳舞。”
cried the young Student; "but in all my garden there is no red rose."
青年学生哭着说,“但我全园里何曾有一朵红玫瑰?”
From her nest in the holm-oak tree the Nightingale heard him,
夜莺在橡树上巢中听见,
And she looked out through the leaves, and wondered.
从叶丛里望外看,心中诧异。
"No red rose in all my garden!" he cried, and his beautiful eyes filled with tears.
青年哭道,“我园中并没有红玫瑰!”他秀眼里满含着泪珠。
"Ah, on what little things does happiness depend!
“呀!幸福倒靠着这些区区小东西!
I have read all that the wise men have written, and allthe secrets of philosophy are mine,
古圣贤书我已读完,哲学的玄秘我已彻悟,
yet for want of a red rose is my life made wretched."
然而因为求一朵红玫瑰不得,我的生活便这样难堪。”
"Here at last is a true lover," said the Nightingale.
夜莺叹道,“真情人竟在这里。
"Night after night have I sung of him, though I knew him not:
以前我虽不曾认识,我却夜夜的歌唱他:
night after night have I told his story to the stars, and now I see him.
我夜夜将他的一桩桩事告诉星辰,如今我见着他了。
His hair is dark as the hyacinth-blossom, and his lips are red as the rose of his desire;
他的头发黑如风信子花,嘴唇红比他所切盼的玫瑰,
but passion has made his face like pale ivory, and sorrow has set her seal upon his brow."
但是挚情已使他脸色憔悴,烦恼已在他眉端引着痕迹。”
"The Prince gives a ball to-morrow night," murmured the young Student, and my love will be of the company.
青年又低声自语:“王子今晚宴会跳舞,我的爱人也将与会。
If I bring her a red rose she will dance with me till dawn.
我若为她采得红玫瑰,她就和我跳舞直到天明,
If I bring her a red rose, I shall hold her in my arms, and she will lean her head upon my shoulder, and her hand will be clasped in mine.
我若为她采得红玫瑰,我将把她抱在怀里,她的头,在我肩上枕着,她的手,在我手中握着。
But there is no red rose in my garden, so I shall sit lonely, and she will pass me by.
但我园里没有红玫瑰,我只能寂寞的坐着,看她从我跟前走过,
She will have no heed of me, and my heart will break."
她不理睬我,我的心将要粉碎了。”