“Who are you?” he said.
“你是谁?”燕子问。
“I am the Happy Prince.”
“我是快乐王子。”
“Why are you weeping then?” asked the Swallow; “you have quite drenched me.”
“你刚刚为什么哭了?”燕子问。“你把我都滴湿了。”
“When I was alive and had a human heart,” answered the statue,
“以前在我活着,有颗跳动的心脏,”雕像开口说道,
“I did not know what tears were, for I lived in the Palace of Sans-Souci, where sorrow is not allowed to enter.
“我不知道眼泪是什么,因为那时我住在王宫里,那是个逍遥自在、无忧无愁的地方。
In the daytime I played with my companions in the garden, and in the evening I led the dance in the Great Hall.
白天我和朋友在花园里玩耍,晚上我们在大礼堂中跳舞。
Round the garden ran a very lofty wall, but I never cared to ask what lay beyond it, everything about me was so beautiful.
花园周围有一堵非常高的墙,我从来不问墙外有什么,因为我周围的一切都是如此美好。
My courtiers called me the Happy Prince, and happy indeed I was, if pleasure be happiness.
朋友们都叫我快乐王子,事实上我真的很快乐,如果快乐就是幸福的话。
So I lived, and so I died.
我活着的时候是幸福的,死去的时候也是幸福的。
And now that I am dead they have set me up here so high that I can see all the ugliness and all the misery of my city,
而眼下我死了,他们把我这么高高地放在这儿,我能看见自己城市中所有的丑恶和贫苦。
and though my heart is made of lead yet I cannot chose but weep.”
尽管心由铁铸,但是我依然无法抑制地哭泣。”
“What! is he not solid gold?” said the Swallow to himself.
“什么!他不是纯金的吗?”燕子自言自语地说。
He was too polite to make any personal remarks out loud.
他很讲礼貌,不愿大声议论别人的私事。
“Far away,” continued the statue in a low musical voice,
“在远处,” 雕像用像歌曲一样美妙的声音继续说,
“far away in a little street there is a poor house.
“这条小街的远处有一户贫穷的人家。
One of the windows is open, and through it I can see a woman seated at a table.
一扇窗户打开着,透过窗户我能看到一个女人坐在桌旁。
Her face is thin and worn, and she has coarse, red hands, all pricked by the needle, for she is a seamstress.
她的脸色苍白而衰老,她有一双粗糙,红肿的手,因为她得整天拿着针,她是一个裁缝。
She is embroidering passion-flowers on a satin gown for the loveliest of the Queen’s maids-of-honour to wear at the next Court-ball.
她正在一件缎袍上绣西番莲花,准备送给王后的宫女中最美丽的一个,让她在下次宫廷舞会上穿。
In a bed in the corner of the room her little boy is lying ill.
房间一角的一张床上,她的小儿子生病了正躺着。
He has a fever, and is asking for oranges.
他发烧了,嘴里念叨着橘子。
His mother has nothing to give him but river water, so he is crying.
他的妈妈只能给他河水,所以他一直在哭。
Swallow, Swallow, little Swallow, will you not bring her the ruby out of my sword-hilt?
燕子,燕子,小燕子,你能帮我将我剑上的红宝石送给她吗?
My feet are fastened to this pedestal and I cannot move.”
我的脚钉在柱子上,动也动不了。”