Richard, only six months home from college, was startled a little. He had not yout taken the measure of this sire of his,
理查德离开学校才六个月,听了这话微觉吃惊。他还拿不准这老头子的分寸。
who was as full of unexpectednesses as a girl at her first party.
那老头儿活象一个初次交际的姑娘,时不时地问你一些意想不到的事。
"Six dollars a dozen, I think, dad."
“大概是六美元一打,爸。”
"And your clothes?"
“你的衣服呢?”
"I suppose about sixty dollars, as a rule."
“通常是六十美元左右。”
"you're a gentleman," said Anthony, decidedly. "I've heard of these young bloods spending $24 a dozen for soap,
“你是上流社会的人,”安东尼斩钉截铁地说。“我听说现在的公子哥儿都用二十四美元一打的肥皂,
and going over the hundred mark for clothes. you've got as much money to waste as any of 'em,
穿的衣服突破百元大关。你有的是钱,可以像他们那样胡花乱用,
and yout you stick to what's decent and moderate. Now I use the old Eureka--not only for sentiment, but it's the purest soap made.
但你始终正正经经,很有分寸。现在,我仍旧使用老牌尤雷卡肥皂,这不仅仅是出于感情问题,而且也因为这是最纯粹的肥皂。
Whenever you pay more than 10 cents a cake for soap you buy bad perfumes and labels.
你花十美分以上买一块肥皂,买的只是蹩足香料和包装招牌。
But 50 cents is doing very well for a young man in your generation, position and condition.
不过,像你这个年纪,有地位有身分的年轻人用五十美分一块的肥皂也够好了。
As I said, you're a gentleman. They say it takes three generations to make one. They're off. Money'll do it as slick as soap grease.
正如我刚才所说,你是上流社会的人。人们说,三代人才造就一个上流人物。他们错了。有了钱办什么事都很灵便,就像肥皂的油脂一样润滑。
It's made you one. By hokey! it's almost made one of me.
它在你身上已经见效啦。天哪!差点也使我成了上流人物。
I'm nearly as impolite and disagreeable and ill-mannered as these two old Knickerbocker gents on each side of me
不过,我几乎同住在我们两边的荷兰佬不相上下,语言粗俗,行为古怪,举止无礼。
that can't sleep of nights because I bought in between 'em."
他们晚上睡不着觉,只因为我在他们的住宅中间置下了房产。”