Hi. Welcome back to www.engvid.com. I'm Adam.
欢迎来到英格威英语学习网。我是亚当。
Today's lesson is a little bit interesting because what we're doing is looking at other ways to say "want".
今天的课程有一些有趣,因为我们要学习的是其它表达“want”的方式。
Now, you're thinking: "It's a simple word, just say 'want' every time."
现在你在想:“这是个简单的单词,每次说'want'就行啦。”
But native speakers like to mix up their language a little bit;
但是说母语的人喜欢丰富他们的语言,
they like to use different things, different expressions for different moods, different feelings,
他们喜欢用不同的表达来展现不同的心情和不同的感觉,
they want to emphasise something or they want to really exaggerate something, make it more than it is.
他们想要强调某些事情,或者想要夸大某些事情,使它更加夸张。
So we're going to look at different ways to say "want". I have eight different expressions for you.
所以我们来看不同的表达“want”的方式。今天我给大家来讲八种不同的表达。
Now, I know that everybody knows this one: "would like".
我知道大家都知道这个“would like”。
-"Would you like some tea?" -"Yes, I would like some tea. Thank you. Please and thank you."
“你想喝茶吗?”“是的,我想喝茶。谢谢。谢谢你。
Very polite, a little bit more formal than "want", no problem.
很有礼貌,比“want”更加正式一点,没问题。
But then we have "feel like". -"Hmm. Let's go out for dinner tonight." -"Hmm.
但是我们还可以说“feel like”。“我们今晚去吃晚餐吧。”
What do you feel like?" -"I don't know. I feel like a pizza. I feel like a pizza."
你感觉怎么样?“我不知道。我想要披萨。我想要一个披萨。”
It means I want a pizza. That's what I have the feeling for.
意思是我想要一个披萨。我想吃的就是披萨。
But basically, this means: "I want this." I could say: "I want a pizza", but that's kind of boring.
基本上意思就是:“我想要这个。”我可以说:“我想要一个披萨。”但是但是那有一点无聊。
"I feel like a pizza" means: "Mm, that would really satisfy me right now.
“我想要一个披萨”的意思是:“它就是现在能满足我的东西。
That would make me feel good." In the same way... Oh, okay, we have it down here.
它让我感觉很好。”同样的方式...在这里。
"I could go for". -"Hmm. What could you go for?" -"I could go for a hamburger.
“I could go for”。“你想吃什么?”“我想吃一个汉堡。
I could go for a lobster." Go for... And usually we say "could go for", because it's just an idea.
我想吃一个龙虾。”通常我们会说“could go for”,因为它只是一个想法。
Right? I might not get it, but "I could go for" means I want this.
我可能得不到它,但是我想要它。
Whether we can have this or not, I'm not sure, but that's what I'm craving right now. That's the mood I'm in right now.
我能不能得到它,我不确定,但是那就是我现在想要的东西。那就是我现在的心情。
Okay? So, "I could go for a hamburger" means let's go get a hamburger, if one's available.
“我想要吃一个汉堡”意思是,如果可以的话,我们就去吃汉堡吧。
And you just heard me say "in the mood for". "In the mood for" is similar to "feel like".
你刚听到我说“in the mood for”。它的意思和“feel like”相近。
"Mood" is basically a feeling, but it's more of a mental feeling than a physical feeling.
“mood”基本上就是一种感觉,但是它更多指的是心理的感觉,而不是身体上的感觉。
So if I'm in the mood for something, that's what I want. That's the only thing that will satisfy me right now.
如果我想要什么东西,那就是我想要的。那是现在唯一能满足我的东西。
This is what I want now; nothing else. Later, I'll be in the mood for something else.
这就是我现在想要的东西,没有别的。过后,我会想要其他的东西。
Okay? So: -"What are you in the mood for?" -"I don't know. I'm in the mood for pizza."
“你现在想要什么?”“我不知道。我想吃披萨。”
I already used pizza. Let me think of something else.
我已经吃过披萨了。让我想想其他的东西。
"I'm in the mood for a falafel", because that's yummy. "Craving".
“我想吃沙拉三明治”,因为那很好吃。“craving”。
Now, "craving", basically means want, but a very, very strong want, like a really strong desire for something.
“crving”基本上就是想要,但是是一种很强烈的需求,对某物有强烈的欲望。
Right? Like nothing else will satisfy you except for this particular thing.
就好像除了这个东西,没有别的任何东西能满足你。
Your mouth is already tasting it before you even have it.
甚至在你吃之前,你的嘴就已经在品尝它了。
It's a craving. -"I'm going to go get some sweets. What can I get for you?"
它是一种渴望。“我要去拿些甜食,能帮你拿什么吗?
-"Mm. I'm craving a donut." It means that's what I really want right now.
“我想要一个甜甜圈。”意思是那是我现在想要的东西。

That's what I, mm, like the juices are coming. I'm salivating already.
就像这样,口水都流出来了。
"Salivating" means like the juices are flowing in the mouth because I want something delicious.
“Salivating”的意思是嘴里流口水了,因为我想吃好吃的东西。
"Dying for". "I'm dying for something" means I really, really, really want.
“dying for”。“我很想要什么东西”意思是我非常非常想要。
Again, all of these basically mean "want", but there's different degrees of want.
所有这些表达的意思都是“想要”,但是是不同程度的想要。
So if you're dying for something, it means probably you haven't had it for a long time, and that's why you're dying for it.
如果你渴望某事,意思是你很长时间都没有拥有它了,所以你渴望拥有它。
You feel like if you don't get it, you're going to die. Of course, you're exaggerating, but that gets that...
你感觉如果你不能得到它的话,你就会死去。当然,你夸大了这种感觉,但是你...
Gets the idea across much more strongly. Now, we have another couple of expressions. If something will "hit the spot"...
更有力地传达了这种感觉。我们还有其他一些表达。如果某事“正合需要”...
So, for example: "Wings will really hit the spot right now" means the spot is right here and a little bit here, too.
比如:“鸡翅现在正合需要”,意思是这个点正合适。
Right? So if something hits the spot, means that's the only thing that's going to satisfy you.
如果某物正合需要,意思是它现在是唯一满足你的东西。
So if you say something is going to hit the spot or something would hit the spot, usually...
如果你说某物正合需要,通常是在说...
If something would hit the spot, then that's what you really want right now.
如果某物正合需要,那就是你现在非常想要的东西。
This is a very common idiom, actually. The last one, I just put it in for fun. It's pretty rare.
实际上这是一个非常常见的习语。最后一个,纯属娱乐,它很少见。
You won't hear it very often. It comes from Shakespeare from the play King...
你不会经常听到它。它来自莎士比亚的戏剧《国王》...
Sorry, Richard III, he says: "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse."
是理查三世,他说:“一匹马,一匹马,我的王国换一匹马。”
He will trade everything he has if somebody will just bring him a horse.
如果有人能给他一匹马的话,他愿意用他所有的一切来换。
That's all he wants, a horse. So we can say this for anything: "My kingdom for a beer."
这就是他想要的东西,一匹马。所以我们可以用这个来表达任何东西:“我的王国换一杯啤酒。”
Means all I want right now is a beer, but I can't find a beer.
意思是我现在想要一杯啤酒,但是我找不到啤酒。
I will give you everything I have, if you bring me a beer right now. That's all I want right now.
我会给你我想要的任何东西,如果你给我一杯啤酒的话。这就是我想要的东西。
Okay? So, keep in mind, native speakers use these all the time. This one a little bit more rare.
记住,说母语的人总是使用这些。这个有一些少见。
This is very dramatic. If you want to be very dramatic about your desire, you can use this expression.
这个非常有戏剧性。如果你想戏剧性地表达自己的欲望的话,你可以使用这个表达。
You can check all of these at www.engvid.com. We have a quiz. Make sure you understand how to use them.
你可以在英格威英语学习网检验所有这些表达。我们有一个小测。确保你知道如何使用他们。
Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel. If you have any questions, you can ask me at www.engvid.com, again.
别忘了订阅我的油管频道。如果你有任何问题,你可以在英格威英语学习网向我提问。
And I'll see you again soon. Bye-bye.