Sensational. This is a word that my Dad slightly overuses.
“sensational(极好的)”,这是我老爸经常用到的一个单词。
This is why I'm giving you all of these words, because you want to pick lots of different words to use.
这就是为什么我要跟你们讲这些单词,这样你们在使用的时候就会有很多选择。
If you get stuck on saying the same word again and again and again, it's very boring. Okay? So really try and get the most from today's lesson.
如果你一遍又一遍地重复同一个词,那就太无聊了。好吧?所以要从今天的课程中努力获得最大的收获。
Sensational. So, a sensation is a feeling. Okay? You can see the word sense, there, so a feeling.
“sensational(极好的)” 所以,“sensation”的意思是“感觉”,好吧,它里面是“sense”这个单词,所以,一种“感觉”
It really makes you feel quite alive, quite... It's amazing. Okay? Quite similar to magnificent.
它真的让你感觉充满活力,非常令人惊叹。好吧?它和“magnificent(壮丽的,宏伟的)”的意思很相似。
It causes a big feeling. Okay? Sensational news is a news story that grabs your attention.
给人的感觉很强烈。好吧?“sensational news(爆炸性新闻)”的意思就是“能够抓住人们注意力的新闻”。
Startling. Startling news. Again, it's an idea of surprise.
“startling(令人吃惊的)”,“startling news(爆炸性新闻)”,它的意思也是“令人震惊的新闻”
If I startle someone, I kind of shake them up and go: Ah, wake up. Okay?
如果说我“startle”(吓到了)某个人,我会摇醒他们,然后说:啊,醒醒。懂了吗?
Superior. Superior means better than.
“superior(更好的)”,“superior”的意思是“更好”。
You may spot the Latin root of the word: super, meaning sort of better; superior; better than.
你可能会注意到这个词的拉丁语词根“super”,意思是“更好”,“superior”的意思就是“更好”。
Worthwhile. Okay? So if something is worthwhile, It's worth you spending some time doing; it's worth you going and getting this dog food. Okay.
“worthwhile(值得做的)”,如果说什么事情是“worthwhile”,意思就是“它值得你花时间去做”。这个狗粮值得你去买。懂了吗?
Now let's look at some verbs.
现在我们来看一些动词,
Now we're kind of really trying to encourage someone to buy the dog food.
现在好像我们真的是在鼓励大家去买这款狗粮。
Beseech. This is a formal word; it's quite old-fashioned.
“beseech(恳求)”,这是一个很正式的词,很过时的一个词。
It would probably be more of use in a formal letter to someone; it's not really a word that we would use in conversational English.
经常用在写给别人的正式信函里,而在日常的英语会话中是用不到这个词的。
I beseech you to try this fantastic dog food would be an odd sentence, but it means: I want you to do this.
我恳求(beseech)你尝试一下这款极好的狗粮,这句话听起来很奇怪,它的意思是:“我希望你这样做”。
Delighted. So, this isn't actually a verb: delighted; I'm just going to point that out to you.
“delighted(高兴的)”,它并不是一个动词,“delighted”,我给你们圈出来。
It's to take delight in something. I would be delighted. I would be delighted means I would be very happy. Okay.
它的意思是“因某事而高兴”,“I would be delighted”,意思就是“我很高兴”。好吧。
To emphasize, to emphasize. That means I make the point very clear;
“emphasize(强调)”,“emphasize(强调)”,意思就是“我把某一点讲得很清楚”,
I say it again and again until you understand that this dog food is numero uno.
我说了一遍又一遍,直到你确信这个狗粮是最牛的。
Entreat. Entreat, quite similar to beseech.
“entreat(恳求)”,它的意思和“beseech”很像,
It means sort of to invite you to do something. I entreat you to open that can and give it a sniff. I entreat you.
就是“邀请某人做某事”,“我恳求(entreat)你打开那个罐子闻一闻”,“我乞求(entreat)你”。
Expect means: I think you will do this. I expect you to do this. I'm counting on you to do this.
“expect”的意思是:“我认为你要做、我希望你这么做、我期待你做”。
Implore means kind of a sense of begging you to do something. I implore you to try this product.
“implore”的意思是“乞求某人做某事”。“我恳求(implore)你试用一下这个产品”。
Recommend-this is my advice; I suggest that; I think you should. Okay?
“recommend”,“这是我的建议”、“我建议”、“我认为你应该”。好吧?
Urge, this has more of a sense of urgency. Okay?
“urge”,这个词的紧迫感(urgency)更强一些,懂吗?
So, an urge-we need to do this quickly; it has to happen. I urge... I really want you to do it. Okay?
所以,“urge”,意思就是“我们需要你尽快做这件事、必须去做”。“I urge”,意思就是“我真的很想让你去做”,懂了吗?
And then a couple of adverbs to throw into the mix.
然后还有几个副词。
I would be extremely proud if... I definitely think it's a good idea if...
“我会非常地(extremely)自豪如果……”,我认为这绝对是个好主意如果……
These just add a little bit of extra emphasis.
就是让强调的程度又高了一点。
Okay? I'm going to flip the board around, and you're going to see on the other side an example,
好吧?我要把白板翻过来,你们会在白板的另一边看到一个例子,
and I want you to see if you can spot these words, here. Are you ready?
我想看看你们能不能在里面找出我们今天学的这些单词。准备好了吗?
I'll read this out to you from top to bottom, and then we'll go through and try to spot the words we've included.
我会先从头到尾给你们读一遍,之后我们会再过一遍,过的同时我们要找出今天我们讲到的词。
Dear Parent, so it's a letter.
亲爱的妈妈(或爸爸):所以这是一封信。
I would like to recommend to you the magnificent baby group, Jazzabyebabies. That's the name of the company.
我想向你们推荐一个非常棒的宝宝乐队,“爵士宝宝”。这是一家公司的名字。
They put on sensational jazz concerts for young parents and their babies.
他们为年轻的父母和他们的孩子举办了一场轰动的爵士音乐会。
Their events definitely deliver an enjoyable experience.
他们的活动会为大家带来愉快的体验。
So I would urge you to try it out for your little one(s).
所以我强烈建议您为了孩子来体验一下。
Okay. fifteen seconds-spot five words.
好吧。15秒——找出5个单词。
Okay, good. I haven't got a watch on today, but let's say that's fifteen.
好的,嗯,我今天没有带计时表,我们就当那是15秒。
Right. So, first of all, we got a suggestion, there: recommend; I think you should do this. Okay?
好的,所以,首先,我们找到了表示建议的“recommend”“我觉得你应该这么做”,好吧。
Magnificent, saying that something is fantastic and wonderful. Okay?
“magnificent”,形容什么东西很棒很神奇。好吧。
Can you spot my Dad's word? There we are: sensational. Okay? Meaning catching people's attention; news-worthy.
找到我老爸的单词了吗?就是这个“sensational”,好吧,意思是“吸引人们的注意力、有新闻价值的”。
...jazz concerts for young parents and their babies. Their events are
……为年轻的父母和他们的孩子举办的音乐会……他们的活动……
definitely, so we got an adverb to put emphasis, there. ...deliver an enjoyable experience. So I would urge you.
“definitely”,所以我们找到了一个表示强调的副词。……带来愉快的体验。所以我“urge(强烈建议)”你……
How many have you got? One, two, three, four.
找到了几个?一、二、三、四、
Who can spot the fifth? Have we got a fifth word in there?
谁能找到第五个?我们能找到第五个吗?
Deliver, I think that was in there. We'll have to check that.
“deliver(递送)”,好像有这个,得确认一下。
Enjoyable, you've got another little adjective to emphasize the positive experience that it has been.
“enjoyable(愉快的)”,又发现了一个小形容词,可以用来形容“好的体验”。
So you're going to have a go at the quiz now, aren't you? I beseech you, I urge you, I recommend, I advise you.
所以大家现在必须去做一个小测验,好吗?我恳求你、我强烈建议你、我建议你、我劝告你。
I think it will be a fantastically, marvellously, enriching experience for you to do so. Wouldn't it?
我觉得这对你来说将是一次奇特的、不可思议的、丰富的体验,不是吗?
See you on the next one. Bye.
下集见,拜!
Okay, you are going to have a go, aren't you?
好吧,你们要去试一下,好吗?
I implore you to, I beseech you to try the quiz now because it's going to be fantastic, and wonderful, and marvellous, and spontaneously combustion...Ah!
我恳求你、我乞求你现在就去做小测验,因为会很棒、很神奇、很不可思议,而且会自发地暴躁起来……啊!