I sponged the wound, cleaned it, dressed it, and finally covered it over with cotton wadding and carbolized bandages.
我用海绵洗涤了伤口,揩拭干净,将它敷裹好,最后用脱脂棉和消毒绷带将它包扎起来。
He lay back without wincing, though he bit his lip from time to time.
他躺在那里,并没有因为疼痛而动一动,尽管他不时地咬紧牙关。
"How is that?" I asked when I had finished.
包扎好后,我问道,"现在您觉得怎样?"
"Capital! Between your brandy and your bandage, I feel a new man.
"好极了,您的白兰地和绷带,使我觉得自己变成另外一个人了。
I was very weak, but I have had a good deal to go through."
原先我非常虚弱,但是我还有许多事情要办。"
"Perhaps you had better not speak of the matter. It is evidently trying to your nerves."
"我看您最好还是别谈这件事。很明显,这对您的神经是一种折磨。"
"Oh, no, not now. I shall have to tell my tale to the police;
"噢,不会,现在不会了。我还得把这桩事报告警察;
but, between ourselves, if it were not for the convincing evidence of this wound of mine,
但是,不瞒您说,如果我不是有这个伤口为证的话,
I should be surprised if they believed my statement;
他们会相信我的话才怪呢,
for it is a very extraordinary one, and I have not much in the way of proof with which to back it up;
因为这是一件极不寻常的事,而我又没有什么证据足以证明我的话是真实的。
and, even if they believe me, the clues which I can give them are so vague that it is a question whether justice will be done."
况且,即使他们相信我,我所能提供的线索也是非常模糊的,他们是否会为我主持正义还是个问题。"
"Ha!" cried I, "if it is anything in the nature of a problem which you desire to see solved,
"嘿!"我喊道,"如果您真想解决什么问题,
I should strongly recommend you to come to my friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, before you go to the official police."
我倒要向您大力推荐我的朋友福尔摩斯先生。在你去找警察之前,不妨先去找他。"
"Oh, I have heard of that fellow," answered my visitor,
"噢,我听说过这个人,"我的客人回答说,
"and I should be very glad if he would take the matter up, though of course I must use the official police as well.
"假如他受理这个案子,我将非常高兴,尽管同时也要报告警察。
Would you give me an introduction to him?"
您能为我介绍一下吗?"
"I'll do better. I'll take you round to him myself."
"岂止为您介绍,我还要亲自陪您去走一趟。"
"I should be immensely obliged to you."
"那就太感谢您了!"
"We'll call a cab and go together.
"我们雇一辆马车一块儿走。
We shall just be in time to have a little breakfast with him. Do you feel equal to it?"
我们还来得及赶上同他一起吃点早餐。您觉得这样做身体行吗?"
"Yes; I shall not feel easy until I have told my story."
"行,不讲讲我的遭遇,我心里就觉得不舒坦。"
"Then my servant will call a cab, and I shall be with you in an instant."
"那么,让我的佣人去雇一辆马车。我去去马上就来。"
I rushed upstairs, explained the matter shortly to my wife,
我匆匆跑到楼上,简单地对妻子解释了几句,
and in five minutes was inside a hansom, driving with my new acquaintance to Baker Street.
五分钟后,我和这位新相识,已坐上一辆双轮小马车直奔贝克街。