He unwound the handkerchief and held out his hand.
他解开手帕,将手伸了出来。
It gave even my hardened nerves a shudder to look at it.
这场面就是铁石心肠的人也会目不忍睹的!
There were four protruding fingers and a horrid red, spongy surface where the thumb should have been.
只见四根突出的手指和一片鲜红可怕的海绵状断面,这里本来该是大拇指的部位。
It had been hacked or torn right out from the roots.
大拇指已被迫根剁掉或硬拽下来了。
"Good heavens!" I cried, "this is a terrible injury. It must have bled considerably."
"天哪!"我喊着,"多么可怕的创伤,一定流了不少血。"
"Yes, it did. I fainted when it was done, and I think that I must have been senseless for a long time.
"是的,流了不少血。受伤后我昏迷过去,我相信我一定有很长一段时间失去了知觉。
When I came to I found that it was still bleeding,
等我苏醒过来时,我发现它还在流血,
so I tied one end of my handkerchief very tightly round the wrist and braced it up with a twig."
于是我把手帕的一端紧紧地缠在手腕上,并用一根小树枝把它绷紧。"
"Excellent! You should have been a surgeon."
"包扎得好极了!您本应该当一名外科医生才对!"
"It is a question of hydraulics, you see, and came within my own province."
"您瞧,这是一项水利学问题,属于我自己的专业知识范围之内的。"
"This has been done," said I, examining the wound, "by a very heavy and sharp instrument."
"这是用一件非常沉重、锋利的器具砍的。"我边检查伤口边说道。
"A thing like a cleaver," said he.
"像是用屠夫的切肉刀砍的。"他说。
"An accident, I presume?" "By no means."
"我想,这是意外事故,对吗?""决不是。"
"What! a murderous attack?" "Very murderous indeed." "You horrify me."
"什么?是有人蓄意凶残地砍的吗?""嗯,确实极其凶残。""真吓人。"