"Oh, my night could not be called monotonous," said he, and laughed.
"噢,我这一宵可不能说是单调乏味,"他说着不禁放声大笑起来。
He laughed very heartily, with a high, ringing note, leaning back in his chair and shaking his sides.
他的笑声又高又尖,身子往后靠在椅子上,捧腹大笑不忍。
All my medical instincts rose up against that laugh.
这笑声引起我医学本能极大的反感。
"Stop it!" I cried; "pull yourself together!" and I poured out some water from a carafe.
"别笑了!"我喊道,"镇定镇定吧!"我从玻璃水瓶里倒了一杯水给他。
It was useless, however.
然而,这根本不起作用。
He was off in one of those hysterical outbursts which come upon a strong nature when some great crisis is over and gone.
他正在歇斯底里大发作,这是一种性格坚强的人在渡过一场巨大危难之后所产生的歇斯底里。
Presently he came to himself once more, very weary and pale-looking.
片刻间,他又清醒过来,精疲力竭,面色苍白。
"I have been making a fool of myself," he gasped.
"我真是出尽了洋相,"他气喘吁吁地说。
"Not at all. Drink this." I dashed some brandy into the water,
"没有的话,把这喝下去吧。"我往水里掺了些白兰地,
and the colour began to come back to his bloodless cheeks.
他那毫无血色的双颊开始有些红润了。
"That's better!" said he. "And now, Doctor, perhaps you would kindly attend to my thumb,
"好多了!"他说,"那么,大夫费心给我瞧瞧我的大拇指吧,
or rather to the place where my thumb used to be."
应当说,瞧瞧我的大拇指原来所在的部位。"