手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 全球顶级智囊访谈 > 正文

用你的双手去做有意义的事

来源:可可英语 编辑:Daisy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

When I was a kid, my dad drove a $500 bread truck into our driveway

我小时候 我爸爸把一辆500美元的面包车开到了我家的车道上

and I thought we were going into the bread business.

当时我还以为我们要卖面包呢

And he said, "No, this is our camper."

但我爸说“不是 这是我们的露营车”

I said, "I can read – it says Marita Bread and Rolls on the side of the truck."

我说“我识字了——车身上明明写着玛丽塔面包”

And over that summer we build bunk beds that flipped down, we made a sofa,

那个夏天 我们做了可以折叠的双层床 做了个沙发

we plumbed a propane tank into a Coleman stove, we rewired the entire truck.

往科尔曼油炉里装了个丙烷罐 给整辆车铺好了线路

203.png

Over that summer I learned how to be an engineer and I was in middle school so it was experimental learning.

就是那个夏天 我学会了如何当一名工程师 当时我还在上初中 所以那只是种体验式学习

And it wasn't until we painted the side of the truck that I realized

直到我们给卡车外面刷上油漆 我才意识到

we're going to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on vacation in this recreational vehicle.

我们要驾着这辆露营车去美特尔海滩 南卡罗来纳度假

So experiential learning, whether it comes from home, school,

所以体验式学习 无论它来自家庭 学校

wherever you get it, Boys and Girls Club,

不管你从哪里得来 男孩女孩俱乐部

but we have to give kids meaningful things to do with their hands

我们一定要让孩子用他们的双手做一些有意义的事

and give them problems that can help solve problems in their community or in the world

给他们出一些难题 让他们能帮助社会甚至世界解决问题

and not just do make-work stuff.

而不是让他们去做为了工作而工作的事

And I think when we let them build and create and it's meaningful and it helps them solve a problem,

我认为 我们让孩子们去建造 去创造 这很有意义 还能帮助他们解决问题

that gets them thinking about how they can be change makers themselves

会让他们思考自己能改变什么

and how they can be scientists and engineers because that's what they're doing.

以及如何能成为科学家和工程师 因为这就是他们所做的事

They're thinking creatively and they're solving problems.

他们有创新性思维 他们在解决问题

And that's what we do as engineers and scientists.

这就是工程师和科学家

And so get them early building and creating things that are meaningful.

所以要尽早让他们建造和创造一些有意义的东西

Like I built a bread truck that saved the day for us.

就像我造了个面包卡车 帮了全家人一样

And we didn't have to spend it $24,000 on a Winnebago

我们不需要花24000美元去买一辆温尼贝格房车

when we have a $500 bread truck that serves the same purpose–

因为我们已经有了500美元的面包卡车 两者都有同样的目的——

getting the family, in the cheapest way possible,

带上全家人 用最便宜的方法

to a destination so that the family can explore these new surroundings.

去旅游 让家人有机会探索新世界

The intellectual side of learning and the physical side of learning how are they connected and what is that interplay?

学习的智力方面和物理方面 两者有何关联 它们之间的相互作用是什么?

And I think Lego has done a really great job of teaching kids to play with these bigger Duplo blocks

我觉得乐高在教孩子玩更大的得宝积木方面有很出色的效果

or the bigger blocks where they're trying to move them from one side of the body to the other side,

或者是需要把积木从身体一边移动到另一边的更大的积木

because if you split the brain, as you're going across the brain,

因为如果你把大脑一分为二 就像在大脑间穿越一样

you are now making this physical space connection with both sides of your brain.

你就和两侧的大脑产生了实体空间联系

And their play is intentional to have kids do that at a very early age.

乐高游戏就是故意让孩子在很小的时候得到这种锻炼

And so understanding how my body works, how I turn and twist and jump when I'm catching a pass

所以了解身体的运作原理 知道自己在传球时是如何转身 弯曲和跳跃的

has the same effect as me working hand controllers on the International Space Station,

跟我在国际空间站里制造人工控制器

moving the $2 billion Columbus Laboratory out of the payload bay of the shuttle

把价值20亿美元的哥伦布实验室移出航天飞机的有效载重舱

and attaching it to the space station.

并把它跟空间站对接上有同样的效果

I have to know how to position my body in zero gravity

我必须得知道如何在零重力下安置自己的身体

where I'm not floating off and I'm going to put in the wrong hand controller motion

让自己不会漂走 也不会错误地操作人工控制器

that's going to slap the thing into the side of the space station

导致实验室撞上空间站侧面

and kill the project and maybe kill us.

毁了整个项目 甚至害死所有人

So body, mind, spatial reasoning, body spatial reasoning are all connected to solving problems.

所以 身体 思想 空间推理 身体空间推理都和解决问题相关

You have these foot straps you put your feet in that keep you from translating around,

虽然有脚部牵引带可以让你把脚放进去 避免四处漂动

but still you have to react off the hand controllers just like you do off the foot straps.

但你依然有在没有人工控制器和脚部牵引带的情况下作业的时候

And I think understanding your body in space as well as on the ground helps you do these technical things

我觉得了解在太空中和地面上自己的身体 能帮助你完成这些

that are challenging with your body.

对身体而言有挑战性的技术任务

重点单词   查看全部解释    
experimental [iks.peri'mentl]

想一想再看

adj. 实验(性)的,试验(性)的

 
challenging ['tʃælindʒiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 大胆的(复杂的,有前途的,挑战的) n. 复杂

 
explore [iks'plɔ:]

想一想再看

v. 探险,探测,探究

联想记忆
vehicle ['vi:ikl]

想一想再看

n. 车辆,交通工具,手段,工具,传播媒介

联想记忆
react [ri'ækt]

想一想再看

vt. 作出反应
vi. 起反应,起作用,反攻

联想记忆
interplay ['intəplei]

想一想再看

n. 相互影响

 
intellectual [.intil'ektʃuəl]

想一想再看

n. 知识份子,凭理智做事者
adj. 智力的

联想记忆
technical ['teknikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 技术的,工艺的

 
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
tank [tæŋk]

想一想再看

n. 坦克,箱,罐,槽,贮水池
vt. 把 .

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。