"That must have been just after I talked to Ben," I said.
“一定是在我和本谈话之后,”我说。
"So, where do we start?"
“那么,我们从哪里开始呢?”
"Well, I want to have a look around the dean's office, but that's not possible.
“嗯,我想去院长办公室看看,但这是不可能的。
The police are investigating and they won't let anyone in.
警方正在调查,任何人不得进入。
I think that the best thing to do is to look at who else had a motive to kill the dean.
我认为最好的办法是看看还有谁有杀死院长的动机。
We can't forget about those threatening letters.
别忘了那些恐吓信。
Based on the information you got from Ben, I think I should talk to Diana Marcelo."
根据你从本那里得到的消息,我想我应该和戴安娜·马塞洛谈谈。”
"Yeah, if anybody can find out the truth about what was going on between her and the dean, you can," I said.
“是的,只有你能找出她和院长之间的真相了”我说。
"I appreciate your confidence in me.
“感谢你对我的信任。
I would be very happy to let the police handle it all," he said,
我很乐意让警察来处理这一切。”杰夫叔叔说,
"but they are so focused on Clara right now, I'm not sure if they plan to talk to any other suspects.
“但现在他们的关注点都在克拉拉身上,我不确定他们是否打算询问其他嫌疑人。
We have to assume that Clara is innocent, that she had nothing to do with the murder, and see where that takes us."
我们必须假设克拉拉是无辜的,她和谋杀没有任何关系,看看结果如何。”
"I see what you mean," I said. "When do we leave?"
“我明白你的意思,”我说。“我们什么时候走?”
"You can come with me in the car," he said, giving me a hard look,
“你可以跟我上车。”杰夫叔叔说话时表情很严肃,
"but I may want to talk to her alone."
“但我可能想单独跟她谈谈。”
"Sure, I understand," I said. "You're the boss."
“当然,我明白,”我说。“听你的。”
Uncle Jeff smiled. "You bet I am."
杰夫叔叔笑了。“当然”