She blinked her eyes a few times. She opened her mouth to speak,
她眨了眨眼睛,准备开口说话,
but then closed it again. She sat in silence for a full minute and then she started shaking her head.
然后又沉默了,就这样坐了整整一分钟,然后摇了摇头。
"I can't believe it," she said. "You said this happened yesterday afternoon? How?"
“我简直不敢相信,”她说。“你说这事是昨天下午发生的?”情况如何?”
"He was murdered. I don't know too much about it," Uncle Jeff said,
“他是被谋杀的,我对此了解不多,”杰夫叔叔说,
"but one of my friends, Clara Dunn, is at the police station right now because they think she may have killed him."
“但我的朋友克拉拉·邓恩现在在警察局,警察认为可能是她杀了毛里院长。”
"But why are you here?" she said, suddenly looking alarmed.
“可你为什么来这儿呢?”她突然有些惊慌地说道。
"I need your help," he said. "I don't think Clara did it and I'm trying to find out more about Alan Maurie.
“我需要你的帮助,”杰夫叔叔说。“我认为克拉拉不会杀人,我正试图了解更多关于艾伦·毛里的事情。
I want to find out who may have hated him enough to kill him."
我想知道到底是谁恨到要杀了他不可。”
"So you've heard the rumors," she said, sighing. "That's why you're talking to me.
“这么说你已经听到谣言了,”她叹了口气说。“所以你才找到我。”
Yes, we had a relationship, but that's over. It's been over for six months."
是的,我们曾经有过一段感情,但现在结束了,已经过去六个月了。
I watched her closely, but I couldn't tell if she was lying.
我仔细观察着她,但看不出她是否在说谎。
"Then what did you argue about two weeks ago?" he asked. "Someone heard you argue with the dean."
“那两周前你和毛里院长在争论什么呢?”“有人听见你和院长吵架了。”
I could tell that Professor Marcelo didn't like the question.
我看得出马塞洛教授不喜欢这个问题。