We were back at the house and Uncle Jeff parked the car.
我们回到屋里,杰夫叔叔把车停了下来。
I followed him into the house.
我跟着他进了房子。
"I'm pretty tired," he said.
“我很累,”他说。
"Let's start up again in the morning."
“我们早上再开始吧。”
I agreed. I was pretty tired, too.
我同意。我也很累。
Uncle Jeff stopped on his way down the hall to his bedroom and turned to me.
杰夫叔叔在去卧室的中途停下来,转向我。
"Derrick, you know, when I saw that there was trouble, I should have told you to leave.
“德里克,当我看到有麻烦时,我就应该叫你离开。
I wasn't thinking.
我没有考虑到。
The last thing I wanted was for you to see that corpse—especially a dead body in such a terrible condition. Are you okay?"
我最不想让你看到的就是那具尸体——特别是如此糟糕情况下的尸体,你没事吧?”
"Yeah, sure. It was pretty nasty, but I'm fine. Honestly."
“当然没事,的确很糟糕,但我没事,老实说。”
"I really hope so," he said. Suddenly, he made a face. "I hope your aunt doesn't find out about this."
“我真的希望如此,”杰夫叔叔说。突然,他做了个鬼脸。“我希望你姨妈不会发现这件事。”
"Yeah. Me, too," I said.
“是的,我也希望,”我说。
I went to my room and got ready for bed. I kept thinking about the case.
我回到房间准备睡觉。我一直在想这个案子。
I couldn't sleep. Finally, just when I started to nod off, I remembered something important.
我睡不着,最后,当我开始打瞌睡时,我想起了一件重要的事情。
I had forgotten my date with Jennifer!
我忘记了和詹妮弗的约会!
Even if I had remembered, I couldn't have gone to meet her at 8:30.
即使我记得,我也不可能在八点半去见她。
But now, she'll think I stood her up and just left her there waiting for me.
现在,她会认为我放她鸽子,让她在那里等我。
And the worse part was I didn't have any way to get in touch with her to explain—no phone number, no email address.
更糟糕的是,我没有办法和她联系,也没有电话号码,也没有电子邮件地址。
I didn't even know her last name.
我甚至不知道她的姓。
Would I ever see her again?
我还会再见到她吗?