"Clara might. For Clara, her job at California University is her life.
“可能是克拉拉,对克拉拉来说,加州大学的工作就是她的生活。
The thought of losing it, after being passed over for the dean's position, might have been too much for her.
没有得到院长的职位可能让她难以承受。
Maybe she snapped."
也许她失手了。”
"I don't get it," I said.
“我不明白,”我说。
"If she didn't get along with the dean, why was she worried about the threatening letters he received?
“如果她和院长相处不好,为什么担心院长收到恐吓信?
If she wanted him dead, she should have been happy about the letters, not worried about them."
如果她想让院长死,她应该对这些信感到高兴,而不是担心。”
"That's a good question," he said. "I don't have a good answer. We need more information."
“这个问题问的好,”他说。“没有一个好的答案,我们需要更多的信息。”
"There are also other people who might have wanted to harm him," I said.
“还有其他人可能想伤害他,”我说。
I told him what Ben had told me about the dean's womanizing.
我把本告诉我的院长的风流韵事,
I told him about his affair with Professor Diana Marcelo and about the rumor that he was sleeping with one of his students.
包括院长和戴安娜·马塞洛教授的婚外情,还有他和一个学生睡觉的传闻。
"Maybe the dean and Diana Marcelo had a fight and she killed him," I said.
“也许院长和戴安娜·马塞洛吵架了,戴安娜·马塞洛杀了院长,”我说。
"Maybe Diana Marcelo's husband found out about their relationship and he killed the dean.
“也许戴安娜·马塞洛的丈夫发现了他们的关系,杀了院长。
Maybe he tried to break it off with the student he was having an affair with and she killed him."
也许院长想和那个和他有外遇的学生断绝关系,结果学生杀了他。
"That's a lot of ‘maybes'," he said.
“有很多‘可能’,”他说。
"Let's not keep guessing. We need some facts."
“我们不要再猜了,我们需要找到一些事实。”