This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Kaveh.
欢迎收看《每日语法》栏目,我是卡维。
And before you say anything, I think we should do another "words that aren't really words, but are words" episode.
在你说话之前,我觉得我们应该再做一期“错用的单词”。
Ok. I'm Lucija.
好的,我是露西佳。
Since we already did a similar episode,
因为我们已经做过一期类似的了,
can we just skip the intro part and go straight into explaining words that English speakers often misuse?
我们能跳过介绍部分,直接解释英语学习者经常错用的单词吗?
Sure we can. Let's start with: Funner.
当然可以,让我们从“Funner”开始。
Many people incorrectly add the comparative -er ending to the adjective Fun.
许多人错误得在形容词“Fun”后面加比较级“-er”。
In English, one-syllable adjectives usually end in "er" when used in comparatives,
在英语中,单音节形容词的比较级通常用“er”结尾,
like small-smaller, high-higher. But not Fun. The correct form is more fun.
比如small-smaller,high-higher。但fun不是这样,它的正确形式是more fun。
Impactful. Many people still dislike this word, and prefer using Impactive,
Impactful。许多人仍不喜欢这个词,仍喜欢用Impactive,
which means the same thing:" with strong effect."
它们的意思相同,都是“具有较强的影响。”
So, think twice before you want to make an impactful, I mean, Impactive statement.
所以,在你想做一个有影响力的(impactful),我的意思是,有影响力的(Impactive)陈述之前,请三思。
Factoid. Here's a fact: Many people misuse the word Factoid.
Factoid。事实上许多人误用Factoid这个词。
A Factoid is false information presented as fact.
Factoid是事实呈现的虚假信息。
But so many people have misused the word that the incorrect meaning is starting to become accepted as true.
但是有太多的人误用这个词了,以至于错误的意思开始被认为是正确的。
So today, let's stick with the original meaning.
所以今天,让我们坚持它原来的意思。
Firstly. And lastly, we have Firstly:
Firstly。我们的最后一个单词是Firstly。
an adverb used to introduce a first point or reason.
它是副词,用来介绍第一个要点或理由。
The problem with Firstly is that, for a long time,
它的问题是,长期以来,
it wasn't considered a proper word but the misuse of the word "first".
它不被认为是正确的词,而是对“first”的误用。
You can use Firstly, but we advise against it, especially in writing.
你可以使用“Firstly”,但我们建议不要用,尤其是在写作方面。