My love of kites started about 20 years ago.I taught math for 35 years.
我喜欢风筝喜欢了将近20年了。教数学教了35年了。
I just combined the two to try to reach all of my students.
我就把这两者结合了起来,用这种办法去跟我的学生接触。
I figured, why not take this whole math lesson outside?
我就想,为什么不把数学课放到户外去上?
Maybe, just maybe, they would see the relationship.
也许,我是说也许啊,他们就能明白这两者之间的关系了。
My name is Winfred Randolph Lowe, but in Delray on the beach when I'm flying my kites, they call me Randy The Kite Man.
我叫Winfred Randolph Lowe,但我在德尔雷海滩放风筝的时候,大家都叫我“放风筝的兰迪”。
I started flying kites 20 years ago.
20年前我就开始放风筝了。
I bought my first kite, and I never looked back.I fly my kites as much as possible.
买了第一个风筝之后,我就再也没有回过头。一有机会我就会去放风筝。
I have about 60 or 70 kites.
我差不多有六七十个风筝了。
On any particular given day, you can paint the sky with sea creatures, whales, scuba divers.
在任何特定的日子里,你都可以用海洋生物、鲸鱼啊潜水员等形状的风筝给天空增加一抹色彩。
You're not only looking at the kite, but you're looking at the strings.
放风筝的时候不仅要留意风筝,还要留意系在风筝上的线。
There's math there, and you can do something with it.
这里面就涉及到了数学,我们就可以用数学知识来放风筝。
Kites are geometric figures, kites are triangles.
风筝是几何图形,而且都是三角形的。
And that is one of the things that I tried to take advantage of.
我就是通过利用这一点来放风筝的。
Instead of doing it in the classroom at desks, we take them out in the field.
我们不在教室的课桌上学数学,我们把学生带到户外学。
Pythagorean theorem is a formula used to determine sides of triangles.
毕达哥拉斯定理是用来求三角形边长的公式。
If we want to use Pythagorean theorem on a beach as we're trying to fly a kite,
如果我们要在海滩上放风筝的时候应用毕达哥拉斯定理
and we let the kite go and it travels up the line, better known as the hypotenuse.
把风筝放出去,让它沿着直线往上飞,这条线也就是斜边。
If we draw a line from the top of the kite down to the bottom, that's side A.
从风筝的顶部往地面作一条垂线,就是我们的边A。
If we draw another line from that point, back to where we let the kite go, that would be side B.
连接地面上的这一点与我们放风筝的位置,就是边B。
So by plugging those numbers into the triangle,
把这两条边的边长代入三角形,
we have just figured out how long our string is from where we are standing to the top of the kite.
就能算出从我们所在的位置到风筝顶端风筝线的长度。
There's your answer.
答案出来了。
We could do fractions, common denominators, uncommon denominators, the more complicated the numbers are, the more math there is.
我们还可以用风筝来计算分数,常见分母,不常见分母,数字越复杂,用到的数学知识就越多。
I retired six years ago.
六年前我退休了。
We get a lot of families that come on Delray Beach, and they have kids, and I teach math.
来德尔雷海滩的家庭很多,他们都带着各自的孩子,我就教孩子们数学。
I tell them, "See that right there? We can do a math problem with that,you know?"
我就跟他们说:“看到那个风筝了吗?我们可以用它来算解决数学题噢。”
And some kids understand, "Oh yeah, we did that in school."
有的孩子真的能听懂,还跟我说“啊, 真的耶,我们在学校里学过这个。”
Nowadays, they see it.
他们现在明白了。
But for a lot of the younger kids, it gets them thinking, too.
对于很多年龄还较小的孩子来说,也是能给他们一些启发的。