手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 大脑洞开的生命奇想 > 正文

救命的科技

来源:可可英语 编辑:Melody   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Hey there! Welcome to Life Noggin.

大家好!欢迎来到脑洞大开的生命奇想。
You're all lucky enough to live in a world where technology is at your fingertips.
你们都很幸运,生活在一个科技触手可及的世界。
And I mean, I need technology to survive, so I'm pretty thankful for its existence too.
我的意思是,我需要技术来生存,所以我也很感激它的存在。
Thank you, animator. I love you.
谢谢你,动画师。我爱你。
Not only does it entertain you, but it also probably saves your life.
它不仅让你开心,还可能救你的命。
To understand why, let's take a trip to London in 1854.
想知道原因吗?我们去1854年的伦敦看看。

科技

At this time, a town was struck with a terrible outbreak of cholera, a disease which makes you have watery diarrhea for days, leading to dehydration and potentially death.

当时,一个城镇突然爆发了霍乱,这种疾病会使你腹泻好几天,导致脱水,还有可能导致死亡。
The reason for the sudden outbreak, you're wondering?
想知道疾病爆发的原因吗?
Well, it turns out that the water from a certain pump was contaminated with...wait for it...sewage water.
原来某台水泵的水被污染了……等下……是被污水污染了。
Yep, it's about as gross as it can get.
是的,要多恶心有多恶心。
But today, for most of you watching, this would never happen.
但是今天,对屏幕前的你们来说,这永远不会发生。
And that's because of improvements in water purification.
这是因为水净化技术的进步。
These include filtering the water with sand, gravel, or charcoal, and then disinfecting it to kill any parasites.
水净化技术包括用沙子、碎石或木炭过滤水,然后消毒以杀死所有寄生虫。
And it's fairly safe to say that if it weren't for this, potentially deadly diseases may be much more common and you would probably not be around to watch this video.
可以说,如果不是这样的话,潜在的致命疾病可能会更常见,你可能就不会在这里看这个视频了。
But what about other possible threats to your life, like diseases?
那么包括疾病在内的其他可能的生命威胁呢?
Take polio for example.
以小儿麻痹症为例。
This incurable disease destroys nerve cells, leading to paralysis and possibly suffocation.
这种不治之症会破坏神经细胞,导致瘫痪甚至窒息。
But vaccines have eradicated it throughout most of the world.
但在世界上大部分地区,疫苗已经根除了这种病毒。
And if it weren't for smallpox vaccines, it's estimated that 2 million people would die every year from the disease.
如果没有天花疫苗,估计每年有200万人死于天花。
And to put that into perspective, it would only take only 15 years for the disease to kill the amount of people currently living in Canada.
从这个角度来看,目前生活在加拿大的人只需要15年的时间就会全部去世。
So, yeah, vaccines are pretty great.
所以,是的,疫苗非常棒。
And for the record: no, they don't cause autism.
郑重声明:疫苗不会引起自闭症。
Please don't believe those horrifically inaccurate myths...it makes me sad just thinking about it.
请不要相信那些可怕的谣言……想到这,我就很难过。
But anyway, back to avoiding death! Hooray!
不过我们继续聊避免死亡这个话题!万岁!
Think of all the medical technology that has helped keep you alive.
想想那些帮你活命的医疗技术。
For diabetics, they have pumps and pens to give themselves insulin.
对于糖尿病患者,他们有泵和笔来给自己注射胰岛素。
This allows them to use the glucose from food as energy, instead of having it build up in their bloodstream.
这使得他们可以将食物中的葡萄糖作为能量,以免血液中的葡萄糖越来越多。
Cancer patients have access to chemotherapy and radiation, which help kill the cancer cells in their body.
癌症患者可以接受化疗和放疗,有助于杀死体内的癌细胞。
And people with asthma can treat their attacks with inhalers, that relax their bronchial smooth muscles, allowing them to get in more oxygen.
患有哮喘的人可以在犯病时用吸入器治疗,这样可以放松他们的支气管平滑肌,从而使他们获得更多的氧气。
And the list goes on and on and on.
类似的例子还有很多。
I can only imagine the types of live-saving technology in the future.
我只能想象一下未来那些能救命的技术。
I'm sure we can do a video on the stuff developing now.
我想我们现在可以做一个关于这些技术发展的视频。
Some scientists are working on nanobots in the bloodstream, so I'll be keeping an eye out for that.
一些科学家正在研究血液中的纳米机器人,所以我将密切关注它。
Has technology ever saved your life before?
科技曾经拯救过你的生命吗?
If so, let me know in the comment section below.
如果是,请在评论部分告诉我。
We use technology to teach ourselves every single day, but what if we were never taught anything? Check out this video and find out.
我们每天都用科技来学习,但如果我们什么都没学过呢?看看这个视频吧。
reacted in a similar way.
做出了同样的反应。
So, it's clear that observation facilitates learning.
所以,很明显,是观察促进了学习。
But what if you didn't have anything to observe, or anyone to teach you?
不过如果你没有可观察的东西呢?或者如果没有人教你呢?
In other words, what if you were never taught anything?
换句话说,如果你什么也没学到会怎么样?
To begin, let's discuss what it would be like if you were missing something as fundamental as language.
首先,我们来讨论一下,如果没能掌握语言这样基本的东西,人生会是什么样的。
Understandably, this is a tricky thing to study because, ya know, it's incredibly immoral to isolate a person for the sake of scientific research.
我们可以理解,研究这个东西非常复杂,因为,借科学研究之名让一个人与世隔绝是非常不道德的。
There's a link in the description if you're on a mobile.
如果你是手机观看的,描述区有一个链接。
As always, my name is Blocko and this has been Life Noggin!
我是宝高,这里是脑洞大开的生命奇想!
Don't forget to keep on thinking!
思考不要停!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
asthma ['æsmə]

想一想再看

n. 哮喘

联想记忆
pump [pʌmp]

想一想再看

n. 泵,抽水机,打气筒,抽水,打气
v. 打

 
radiation [.reidi'eiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 辐射,放射线

 
fundamental [.fʌndə'mentl]

想一想再看

adj. 基本的,根本的,重要的
n. 基本原

 
gravel ['grævəl]

想一想再看

n. 碎石 v. 铺碎石,使困惑

联想记忆
immoral [i'mɔ:rəl]

想一想再看

adj. 不道德的

联想记忆
insulin ['insjulin]

想一想再看

n. 胰岛素

 
perspective [pə'spektiv]

想一想再看

n. 远景,看法,透视
adj. 透视的

联想记忆
observe [əb'zə:v]

想一想再看

v. 观察,遵守,注意到
v. 评论,庆

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 我们为什么能听到声音 2017-12-14
  • 磁场颠倒的原因 2017-12-15
  • ASMR是什么 2017-12-21
  • 永葆青春的原理 2017-12-27
  • 复活已灭绝的动物 2018-01-05
  • 下一篇:ASMR是什么
    发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。