Money. It's everywhere.
钱。到处都有钱。
But what happens when your bills get old and need to be replaced by new ones?
但钱用旧了之后要换用新钱时会怎么样呢?
That means old cash needs to be destroyed.
意味着旧钱要被销毁
A lot of cash.
数额还不小。
This is not, however, the story of money growing on trees,
然而,这不是一个树上掉钱的故事
but of trees, growing out of money.
而是一个关于用钱堆成树的故事
Well, more like vegetables.
好吧,还是更像蔬菜一点
We are here at the Federal Reserve Bank in New Orleans,
现在,我们在新奥尔良的联邦储备银行
and this is where we shred millions of dollars.
数不清的钱都是在这里切碎的
My name is Dean Wortha,
我是迪安·沃瑟尔
I'm the lead business analyst for cash services here at the New Orleans Fed.
我是新奥尔良联邦储备银行现金服务方面的业务分析师主管
We are the nation's bank.
我们是国有银行。
Our job is to make sure that we have a supply of currency.
我们的职责就是确保现金的供应
Also part of that is to ensure that we remove unfit, old dirty currency from circulation.
其中就包括阻止不合格的、旧的、脏的纸币继续流通
So here on average, we shred about six million dollars in dirty money every day.
平均一天的话我们要销毁差不多600万美元
This could be for any number of reasons.
销毁纸币有各种各样的原因
It could be because the note has rips in it, holes in it, tears in it.
可能是因为纸币有裂痕、有洞、或是被撕裂了
It could have tape on it, it could have graffiti written all over it.
也可能是因为上面粘了胶带,或是有人在上面乱涂乱画
We don't want that note going back into circulation.
这类纸币我们不想让它们流通下去
If it has any sort of those qualities, it will be shredded.
如果纸币出现了上述问题中的任何一种,就会被切碎
What we used to do is take all of these currency shreds
以前我们通常是将这类纸币统统切碎
and they would just wind up as waste, going to a landfill.
然后像垃圾一样捆起来,丢到垃圾堆
Now, through a lot of work and effort,
但是现在,通过一系列的努力,
we finally figured out a way where we can take these shreds and ultimately recycle them.
我们终于有办法把它们切碎以后进行回收了
So all that green leaves the Fed and heads to a compost facility
这些钱从联邦储备银行出来以后被送往堆肥场
where it turns into something quite useful.
在那里转化成非常有用的东西
What you're looking at right now is 24 million dollars.
你现在看到的可是2400万美元呐
But the soil that is creates will be priceless.
但是用这些钱制成的土壤是无价的
My name is Johnathan Christian.
我是乔纳森·克里斯蒂
We turn cash into soil.
我们的工作就是把纸币变成土壤
It is definitely one of our secret ingredients.
纸币绝对是我们的一个秘密配方
It's little in content, but it's huge in what it provides.
虽然纸币的含量不多,但它提供的营养价值非常高
Currency that's deemed unfit is brought to our facility at Wooden Materials.
被认为不合格的纸币会被送到Wooden Materials公司的设备上
From there we go through a simple composting process
之后我们会走一遍很简单的堆肥流程
where we convert that into a healthy soil.
这样,纸币就转化成健康的土壤了
Our compost is used primarily by urban farmers in the greater New Orleans area.
我们的堆肥主要是供给整个新奥尔良地区城市里的农户
One of these farmers is Simond Menasche.
西蒙·曼纳斯就是一个农户
And this is a million dollar farm.
这是一个价值百万美元的农场
We are making fresh, local food accessible in New Orleans.
我们给新奥尔良的居民提供当地产的新鲜食材
We've grown veggies, herbs, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers.
我们种的有蔬菜、香草、黄瓜、番茄,还有辣椒
The vegetables we grow here are made out of composted cash.
我们种植这些蔬菜用的是用纸币堆的堆肥
It is very fulfilling to be growing, using a material that would otherwise go to waste.
拿这种肥料种菜我觉得很有意义,因为避免了这些纸币被白白浪费
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
在你看来毫无用处的东西对别人来说可能还是个宝贝
And that's the story of how we grow tomatoes out of cash.
这就是我们用纸币种番茄的故事