手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 告别平庸的自己 > 正文

生命并不短暂 只是人事纷繁

来源:可可英语 编辑:Jenny   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

It's not that we have a short time to live, but that we waste much of it.

生命并不短暂,而是我们浪费了太多时间。
Life is long enough, and it's been given to us in generous measure for accomplishing the greatest things...
生命足够漫长,并且以一种很慷慨的方式赐予了我们,只为完成一些伟大的事情…
Alright, so Seneca was looking around and seeing how everyone was complaining about how short life is,
好吧,所以塞内卡到处观察人们对于生命之短暂的抱怨,
and he said, "Look, life isn't short. You're just wasting most of it." "You're always drunk and unconscious."
他说,“瞧,生命不短。只是你浪费的太多。”“你总是醉的不省人事。”
"You're willing to spend time with people that add no meaning to your life and that you don't even like."
“你愿意和自己不喜欢且于你无益的人相处。”
"You come home and fight with your wife until it's time to go to sleep."
“你一回家就和妻子吵架,一直吵到睡觉。”
"You're willing to work as a slave for someone until you're 60 and done with public duties."
“60岁之前,你情愿为别人做牛做马来完成你的公共职责。”
"And then when you're 60 and finally wake up, you look at life and say, 'Where did it all go?'"
然后当你60岁清醒的时候,回看一生,说道,“时间都去哪了?”
And I thought, "Wow!" I mean 2,000 years have passed and just look around you.
我就想,“哇!”2000多年过去了,看看你周围。
Nothing has changed. Absolutely nothing! He says,
没有任何改变。绝对没有!他说,
"Look back at your life..." Start adding up all the stupid things you spent your life on.
“回顾一生…”把你一生中浪费时间的蠢事都加起来。
And let's make that relevant for today... Hanging out with people that you don't even like,
和现在关联起来…与不喜欢的人闲逛,
and then coming home and making sure that you also don't miss out on their really important Facebook status.
回家后又不想错过他们Facebook的状态。
Spending hours passed out drunk, unconsciously watching TV,
花好几个小时喝酒喝到神志不清,不自觉地看电视,
constanstly fighting with your spouse about stupid little things,
为了点鸡毛蒜皮的小事不停地和伴侣争吵,
doing your little meaningless duties, that you feel like you MUST do.
做一些你觉得必须做但却没有任何意义的工作,。
You actually don't HAVE TO do most of the things you think you have to do.
其实大部分你认为必须做的事情都没必要做。
But now, add up all those hours, and it turns out you've had plenty of time!
现在,把那些时间加起来,结果证明你有充足的时间!
All those hours are plenty of time for you to have lived a great life.
那些时间足够你过上好的生活。
But you didn't, and instead, you now complain about the shortness of life.
但是你没有,取而代之的是你在抱怨生命的短暂。
And this is really hard for people to understand. There's nothing I value more than my time.
这真的很难让人理解。没有什么比时间更重要了。
I'm like really greedy with my time, and I get shit for it all the time.
我对于时间很贪婪,而且一直很纠结。
But here's the thing... It's always a choice that you have to make, and everything comes at a cost.
但是…你必须做出一些选择,任何事情都有代价。
Let's say I dedicate an hour to talking to a friend of mine who wants to bitch about how he hates work...
比如说我用了一小时和一个总是抱怨工作的朋友聊天…
Now, what am I giving up when I do that?
那么当我那么做的时候我放弃了什么?
Well, I could've dedicated that hour to doing something that I think is meaningful or something that I actually enjoy.
嗯,我可以用那一个小时做些有意义或是我真正喜欢的事情。
I could have spent quality time with my girlfriend, or a friend who I'm going to learn from,
我可以和女朋友共度美好时光,或是和一个值得我学习的朋友相处,
or who's going to add more happiness or meaning to my life.
又或是同某个能够增加我生命意义和幸福感的人在一起。

生命并不短暂 只是人事纷繁

Because when I'm dying, I'm not going to look back at my life and say,

因为当我即将离世的时候,回顾人生时我不想说,
"I'm so happy I gave my time to every person who wanted to bitch and complain about something."
“我很高兴把时间都花在了经常抱怨的人身上。”
"And I'm so glad that I listened to some rumors that I really didn't give a shit about but hey,
“很高兴我听到了一些谣言,但并没有理会,但是嘿,
at least I was really polite." No... I'm going to say,
至少我很礼貌。”不…我想说的是,
"I'm happy I spent time doing what I thought was meaningful and doing what I loved.
“我很高兴做了些自己认为有意义而且喜欢的事情。
I'm glad I spent time with people who were actually important..."
我很高兴和一些真正重要的人相处过…”
Seneca says, "Do you just hand out your money to everyone?" Probably not, right?
塞内卡说,“你会把你的钱分给别人吗?”可能不会,对吗?
If you had a friend who asked for a $100 every other day, he probably wouldn't stay your friend for too long, right?
如果你的朋友每隔一天就找你借100美元,他可能很快就不是你的朋友了,对吗?
So why are you handing out your time to everyone whenever they want to bitch about something,
所以每当他们是在抱怨某事,
or when they're just wasting your time? I mean it makes no sense!
或是浪费你时间的时候,为什么还要把时间分配给他们呢?我的意思是那样毫无意义!
You can always make another $100, but you can't make another two hours that you just wasted on something stupid.
你可以再赚100美元,但你不可能把在蠢事上浪费的两个小时赚回来。
So stop handing out your time to everyone, and start valuing your time.
所以不要把时间分给别人,开始重视时间。
Realize it's the most important thing you have.
要明白它是你所拥有的最重要的东西。
And you know, I'm 22 years old right now. And I look at life, and I think,
你知道,我现在22岁了。纵观人生,我想到,
"If I live to 60, that's like 40 more years." "That is so much time!"
“如果我活到60岁,还有40多年呢。”“有太多时间了!”
That is so much time! You could do the most unbelievable things in 40 years!
时间那么多!你可以在这40年里做些最不可思议的事情。
But there's probably going to be some 60-year-old guy watching this and saying,
但是如果一个60岁的老者看到这些可能会说,
"Heh, look at this naive little kid." "You have no idea how fast it flies by."
“嘿,看看那个孩子有多么幼稚。”“你根本不知道时间过得有多快。”
"There is no time to do anything..." And you know what, I agree...
“没有时间去做任何事情…”你知道吗,我是赞同的…
Forty years isn't sufficient time when you've spent 39 of those years being a slave for someone else from 9-5,
当你40年里有39年都过着奴隶般朝九晚五生活的时候,
when you've given your time to everyone just because they asked for it,
当你仅仅应人之邀把时间随意支配的时候,
when you've spent years unconscious in front of the TV,
当你在电视机前虚度光阴的时候,
and when you've spent entire nights fighting with your wife about who should do the dishes.
当你为了刷碗和妻子整晚吵架的时候,这四十年真的是远远不够。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
dedicated ['dedi.keitid]

想一想再看

adj. 专注的,献身的,专用的

 
absolutely ['æbsəlu:tli]

想一想再看

adv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地

 
dedicate ['dedikeit]

想一想再看

vt. 献出,提献辞,致力于

联想记忆
spouse [spauz]

想一想再看

n. 配偶

 
quality ['kwɔliti]

想一想再看

n. 品质,特质,才能
adj. 高品质的

 
complain [kəm'plein]

想一想再看

vi. 抱怨,悲叹,控诉

 
sufficient [sə'fiʃənt]

想一想再看

adj. 足够的,充分的

联想记忆
relevant ['relivənt]

想一想再看

adj. 相关的,切题的,中肯的

联想记忆
status ['steitəs]

想一想再看

n. 地位,身份,情形,状况

联想记忆
measure ['meʒə]

想一想再看

n. 措施,办法,量度,尺寸
v. 测量,量

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。