The biggest lie that people tell you is that they're not scared.
人们说过的最大谎言就是他们从不害怕。
And this literally drove me to a point where I thought I was just this little bitch compared to everyone else.
这让我觉得和别人一比我怎么这么怂呢。
So it all started with girls. My friends and I would be out and we'd see a beautiful girl.
就从认识女生开始吧。我和朋友出去看到一个美女。
And I was scared just thinking about going up and talking to her,
仅仅是想着过去聊几句我都感到很害怕,
but no one else would ever even remotely hint at being slightly uncomfortable.
但别人看上去却没有丝毫异常。
Now the weird and somewhat suspicious thing was that they never actually walked up to her,
不过奇怪又可疑的事情是他们从来都没有真正靠近她,
but there was always some rationalization... I mean they would go up and talk to her,
但这也是有道理的…我的意思是他们会过去和她交谈,
of course that's not a problem but, she's not really pretty enough,
当然那是没有问题的,但是,她没那么漂亮,
or she's not really their type, or they just don't feel like it right now.
或是不是他们喜欢的类型,又或是现在不想那么做了。
And I seriously thought something was wrong with me, like no one else is scared but me.
我一度以为自己有问题,因为除了我没人会感到恐惧。
And of course, looking back at it,
当然了,回看一下,
they were all just as scared as I was, but it really did mess with my head for a very long time.
他们都和我一样害怕,但这一点真的让我困惑了好久。
Then it was the same thing when I went through basic training and jumped out of planes.
我在进行基础训练和跳飞机的时候也是同样的情况。
Basic training was over and I would ask people about it, and they would say, "Oh, that was so easy."
基础训练结束后我问别人,他们会说,“哦,那太容易了。”
But by this time, I was starting to sense all the bullshit around the topic of fear.
但至此,我才开始感觉到那些与恐惧相关的废话。
It was interesting that this person would tell me that he was never scared, that it was so easy,
这个人告诉我他从来不害怕,那很容易,有趣的是,
because I remembered his little face full of tears from just a few weeks ago.
但我还记得几周前他因为害怕而流泪的样子。
And it was the same thing with jumping out of planes.
跳飞机也是。
As soon as we got our jump wings, apperantly no one had been scared but me.
当我们拿到跳机装备的时候,显然除了我没人害怕。
And again very interesting because I remember going up in the Twin Otter for our first jump
还是很有意思,因为我记得为了第一跳登上双水獭的时候,
and how everyone was shaking with fear the whole way up there.
所有人都在上面哆嗦。
Same thing with making a video and sharing yourself with the whole world.
还有一件事就是制作视频,与全世界分享自己。
That's easy stuff, right? You'd never be scared of that, right?
太简单了,不是吗?你肯定不会害怕的,对吗?
I mean your videos are going to be so awesome. Everyone's going to love them...
我的意思是你的视频会很棒。人们都会喜欢的…
Yeah, that's what I thought until I made my first video and it was time to publish it.
是的,在发布第一个视频之前,我一直是那么认为的。
You thought you were energetic, but the end result is that you're slow and awkward.
你觉得自己很有活力,结果是你又慢又笨。
You thought you looked really cool, but all you see now are the pimples on your head.
你觉得自己看上去很酷,但你现在满脸是痘。
You thought the video was perfect, but now you see how much it actually sucks.
你觉得视频很完美,但现在你觉得它很糟糕。
And you're about to press that publish button.
你将要按下发布按钮。
And once you do that, get ready to be judged by the entire world including all your family and friends
一旦那么做,就准备迎接包括你的家人、朋友在内的全世界的评判,
on how awkward and stupid you look, and how much your video sucks.
他们会说你看上去多么愚蠢,多么笨拙,你的视频有多么糟糕等等之类的
Now look, You can sit there and pretend that you're not scared, you can even lie to people about it,
现在你可以坐在那假装不害怕,甚至可以谎称不害怕,
and yes, they will start to worship you because you have something that they know they don't have.
是的,他们将会开始尊重你,因为你有一些他们没有的东西。
But let's face the reality... We're all scared.
但请让我们面对现实…我们都会害怕。
We're all scared and that's normal. The book talks about Henry Fonda,
我们都会害怕这很正常。这本书讨论了亨利·方达,
one of the greatest actors, who would throw up before every stage performance even at 75-years-old.
一个非常有名的演员,即使到了75岁高龄,每次舞台演出前他仍会呕吐。
It's really the amateur's mindset to first try to fully overcome fear and then start.
想要完全克服恐惧再开始,这种想法太不专业。
And of course you won't be able to do that, so you'll never start.
当然了你不可能完全克服,所以你根本就没法开始。
The professional's mindset goes something like this, "Cool, I'm afraid. Now what needs to be done?"
专业的心态是这样的,“太好了,我害怕。那么我需要做点什么呢?”
So there's nothing wrong with being scared, but what is wrong with it
恐惧本身没什么问题,但是
is when that fear keeps you from doing the things that would make your life a hundred times better.
当恐惧阻碍你提高生活质量的时候就有问题了。
And that's what Pressfield calls Resistance.
那就是皮尔斯菲尔德所说的“阻力”。
The more Resistance you experience with something you want to do,
你想做的事遇到的阻力越大,
the more sure you can be that it's the best thing for your growth and development.
你就越会肯定它对于你的成长和发展的作用。
The more scared you are of something you want to do, the more you need to do it to honor your true self.
你越害怕做某事,就越需要去做来尊重真我。
And all of my examples I mentioned were some of the biggest fears I have had in my life, and I have pursued them all.
以上所有例子是我人生中经历过的一些大恐惧,我一直在追求它们。
I knew I wanted to be able to go up to a girl and talk to her but I was scared, so guess what, I did exactly that.
我想和女生聊天,但是我很害怕,猜猜怎么着,我真那么做了。
I knew I wanted to train and jump out of planes and guess what, I was scared, but I did exactly that.
我想去参加训练和跳飞机的锻炼,猜猜看,我很害怕,但是我也去做了。
I knew I wanted to share my videos with the world but I was scared,
我想和全世界分享我的视频,但我仍然很害怕,
I was really scared, but that is exactly why I pursued it.
真的害怕,但那就是我一直追求它的原因。
Now if I look at my life, and from what I have grown the most, from what I have had the most fun,
现在如果审视一下我的人生,让我成长最多,收获最大的快乐,
with what I have honored my true self the most, it's exactly these things.
并让我最大程度的尊重真我的正是这些东西。
So let me ask you this... What are the things that you want to do, and are scared of?
所以我要问一下…你想做什么,你害怕什么?
Maybe you don't like to admit it, but deep down you know what it is. What is it?
可能你不想承认,但你自己心里有数。它是什么?
Is it being able to walk up to a girl and have a normal conversation? Is it starting a business?
是想要走近女生进行一场正常的对话吗?是开始做生意吗?
Is it sharing your talent with the world? What is it?
是想和全世界分享你的才华吗?它是什么呢?
Figure out what it is and pursue it, and I will guarantee you,
搞清楚它是什么,然后克服它,我向你保证,
you will see more growth and fulfillment from that journey than anything else you could do in life.
在这个过程中,你会比人生中做的任何其他事情获得更大的成长和满足。