If the dull substance of my flesh were thought,
假如我这笨重的肉体如轻灵的思想,
Injurious distance should not stop my way;
那么山重水复也挡不住我振翅高翔,
For then despite of space I would be brought,
我将视天涯海角如咫尺之隔,
From limits far remote where thou dost stay.
不远鸿途万里,孤飞到你身旁。
No matter then although my foot did stand
此刻我的双足所立的处所
Upon the farthest earth removed from thee;
虽与你远隔千山又有何妨,
For nimble thought can jump both sea and land
只要一想到你栖身的地方,
As soon as think the place where he would be.
这电疾般的思想便会穿洲过洋。
But ah! thought kills me that I am not thought,
然而可叹我并非是空灵的思绪
To leap large lengths of miles when thou art gone,
能腾跃追逮你的行踪跨岭飞江,
But that so much of earth and water wrought
我只是泥土和水铸成的凡胎肉体,
I must attend time's leisure with my moan,
惟有用浩叹侍奉蹉跎的时光。
Receiving nought by elements so slow
唉,无论土和水于我都毫无补益,
But heavy tears, badges of either's woe.
它们只标志着哀愁令我泪飞如雨。