Then, suddenly, I had an idea.
后来,我突然想出个主意来。
'Where is Scudder's book? 'I asked Sir Walter. 'Quick, I remember something in it. '
"斯卡德尔的小本在哪儿?"我问瓦尔特爵士。"快点,我记得里边有点什么。"
He gave it to me.
他把小本递给我。
I found the place. 'Thirty-nine steps, 'I read, and again, 'Thirty-nine steps-I counted them-high tide, 10. 17p. m. '
我找到那一页。"三十九级台阶,"我念着,接着又念下去,"三十九级台阶--我数过--涨潮,下午十点十七分。"
Whittaker clearly thought I had gone mad.
惠特克显然认为我疯了。
'Don' t you see it's a clue? ' I cried. 'Scudder knew where they were going to leave England.
"您没看到这是一条线索吗?"我大声说。"斯卡德尔知道他们会在那儿出发离开英格兰。
Tomorrow was the day, and it's somewhere where high tide is at 10. 17. '
就在明天,那个地方十点十七分涨潮。"
'Perhaps they've already gone tonight, 'someone suggested.
"说不定他们今天晚上已经走了。"有人提醒说。
'Not them. They have their own secret way, and why should they hurry?
"他们不会。他们有自己的一套秘密方式,他们急什么?
They don't know that we're after them. Where can I get a book of Tide Tables? '
而且并不知道我们在跟踪。哪儿能搞到一本潮汐表?"
Whittaker looked happier. 'It's a chance, 'he said. 'Let's go to the Navy Offices. '
惠特克显得振作起来。"这是个机会,"他说。"我们到海军部去。"
Sir Walter went off to Scotland Yard to get MacGilllvray.
瓦尔特爵士去苏格兰场找麦吉里夫雷。