And then every day, smart, interesting twentysomethings like you,
日复一日 像你们或你们的儿子女儿那样的
or like your sons and daughters,
聪明有趣的20几岁的年轻人
coming to my office, and say things like this:
来到我的办公室 对我说这样的话
"I know my boyfriend's no good for me, but this relationship doesn't count. I'm just killing time."
我知道我男朋友不适合我 但这段感情不作数 我只是消磨时间
Or they say:
或者说
"Everybody says as long as I get started on a career by the time I'm thirty, I'll be fine."
每个人都说只要我能在30岁的时候开始我的职业生涯 就没问题
But then it starts to sound like this:
渐渐地 开始变成这样
"My twenties are almost over and I have nothing to show for myself.
我快30岁了 我都没什么拿得出手的
I had a better resume the day after I graduated from college."
我大学毕业时简历都比现在好
And then it starts to sound like this:
再后来就变成这样
"Dating in my twenties was like musical chairs,
20多岁时谈恋爱就像玩抢椅子
everybody was runing around and having fun.
每个人都东奔西跑地玩乐
But then sometime around thirty, it was like the music turned off and everybody started sitting down.
但在30岁左右的时候 音乐停止了 每个人都开始坐下
I didn't want to be the only one left standing up, so sometimes I think I married my husband,
我不想变成唯一站着的人 所以有时候我想我嫁给我丈夫
because he was the closest chair to me at thirty."
是因为他是在我30岁是离我最近的椅子