And our twenties are that critical period of adult development.
20多岁时成人发展的关键时期
But this isn't what twentysomethings are hearing.
但很少有人这样告诉20几岁的人
Newspapers talk about the changing timetable of adulthood.
报纸说20多岁是成年的过渡期
Researchers call the twenties an extended adolescents.
研究人员称20多岁是青春的延长期
Journalists coin silly nicknames for twentysomethings like "twixters" and "kidults".
记者为20多岁人起的外号是 夹在中间者 和 成年孩子
It's true. As a culture, we have trivialized what is actually the defining decade of adulthood.
的确 作为一种文化 我们忽视的正是对成年起到决定性作用的十年
Leonard Berstein said that to achieve great things you need a plan and not quite enough time.
伦纳德·伯恩斯坦说 要成就伟业 你需要一个计划以及不多的时间
Isn't that true?
可不是吗
So what do you think happens when you pat a twentysomething on the head and you say you have 10 extra years to start your life.
你想想 如果你拍着一个20多岁年轻人的脑袋说 你还有10年时间开始你的生活
Nothing happens.
什么都不会发生
You have robbed that person of his urgencies and ambition, and absolutely nothing happens.
你已经偷走了他的紧迫感和野心 什么都没有改变