Whereas if you have a small to mid size market, and have a fast adoption rate.
如果在中小市场中,你的普及率很快的话
You can now take over this market.
你就能占领这个市场
And so I think this is one of the reasons Silicon Valley has done so well,
这也是硅谷的公司以及软件工业
and why software has been this phenomenal industry.
都很成功的原因之一
And what I, what I would suggest, what I would want to leave you with is
我想让大家思考的是
there are sort of these different rationalizations
人们对于一些创新能挣钱
people give for why certain things work, and why certain things don't work.
另一些则不能给出了很多不同的解释
And I think these rationalizations always obscure this question of creating X dollars in value, and capturing Y percent of X.
我认为这些解释都掩盖了“创造X美元的价值,并获得Y%”这一实质问题
So the science rationalization we're always told,
因此人们对于科学家赚不到钱的解释总是
is that the scientists aren't interested in making money.
科学界对赚钱没兴趣
They're doing it for charitable reasons, and that you're not a good scientist if you're motivated by money.
他们做这个是出于慷慨之心,如果你总想着赚钱,你就不是一个合格的科学家
And I'm not even saying people should always be motivated by money or something like this.
我并不是说人们不一定要每次都以赚钱为驱动力
But I think we should be a little more critical of this as a rationalization.
但我想,我们应该对这种解释抱有怀疑的态度
We should ask, is this a rationalization to obscure the fact that Y equals zero percent.
我们应该想想这个解释是否触及到Y值为0的本质?
And the scientists are operating in this sort of world where all the innovation is effectively competed away,
科学家所处的环境是不是导致所有的创新产生的价值都在竞争中消耗掉了
and they can't capture any of it directly.
因此他们才没有赚到钱?
The software distortion that often happens,
关于软件业的一个错误解释是
is because people are making such a vast fortunes in software,
因为我们看到软件公司赚了很多钱
we infer that this is the most valuable thing in the world being done full stop.
因此我们就认为它们创造的东西是世界上最有价值的
And so if people at Twitter make billions of dollars,
如果Twitter的人赚了几十亿美元
it must be that Twitter is worth far more than anything that Einstein did.
那Twitter的价值肯定比爱因斯坦做的东西高得多