]
And so I think there are, in my mind, there probably are only two broad categories in the entire history, the last 250 years,
我想在过去整个250年的历史中,大概只有两大类公司
where people have actually come up with new things, and made money doing so.
发明了新事物并赚了钱
One is these sort of vertically integrated complex monopolies
其中一类是在19世纪末20世纪初
which people did build in the second industrial revolution at the end of the 19th and started the 20th century.
第二次工业革命中形成的垂直综合性垄断企业
And so this was like Ford, it was the vertically integrated oil companies like Standard Oil.
比如福特汽车或者标准石油公司
And what these vertically integrated monopolies typically required was this very complex coordination.
这些垂直综合性垄断企业通常需要复杂的协调机制
You've got a lot of pieces to fit together in just the right way,
需要把公司的各个部分以正确的方式结合在一起
when you assembled it, you had a tremendous advantage.
这样才能获得巨大的优势
This is actually done surprisingly little today.
这在今天已经不常见了
And so I think this is sort of a business form that when people can pull it off is very valuable.
这种形式的公司只要能做好,价值很大
It's typically fairly capital intensive.
这是典型的资本密集型企业
We live sort of in a, in a culture where is very hard
但我们现在的思维已经不一样了
to get people to buy into anything that's super complicated, and it takes very long to build.
我们很难去参与高度复杂的事情耗费的时间太久
But I, you know, when I sort of think about my colleague Elon Musk
我常常想起我在Paypal的同事埃隆·马斯克
from PayPal success with Tesla and Space X,
后来也在特斯拉和SpaceX取得成功
I think the key to these companies was the complex vertically integrated monopoly structure they had.
我认为这些公司成功的关键在于它们具有复杂的垂直综合性垄断结构