Nathan: Can you keep a secret?
南森:你可以帮我保密吗?
Mia: Sure.
米娅:当然。
Nathan: I’ve been initiated into a secret society at school. I’m one of the chosen few.
南森:我加入了学校一个秘密社团。我是少数被选中的人之一。
Mia: Is it supposed to be a big deal?
米娅:这是重大秘密吗?
Nathan: Of course it is. It’s very exclusive. Not many people are invited to join.
南森:当然是了。这可是独家新闻。能被邀请加入的人少之又少。
Mia: But what’s the purpose of this secret society?
米娅:但是这个秘密社团的目的是什么?
Nathan: Well, we have a secret handshake and we have some really mysterious rites and rituals.
南森:我们有秘密握手的暗号还有非常神秘的仪式和典礼。
Mia: What kinds of rites and rituals?
米娅:什么样的仪式和典礼呢?
Nathan: I can’t tell you. I’ve been sworn to secrecy.
南森:恕我无法奉告。我发誓要保密的。
Mia: But what is the purpose of the society? Do you have some goal to accomplish, some reason for existence?
米娅:但是这个社团的目的究竟什么呢?你们有没有需要实现的目标,或者存在的理由?
Nathan: The point is that the members are bound by an allegiance to each other and to the society.
南森:关键是社团的成员们忠于彼此、忠于社会。
Mia: You mean like you’d take a bullet for each other?
米娅:你是指代彼此受过吗?
Nathan: Well, no.
南森:呃,不是。
Mia: Or protect each other at all costs, even by lying and cheating?
米娅:或者不惜任何代价保护对方,即使撒谎或者作弊?
Nathan: No, at least I wouldn’t.
南森:不,至少我不会。
Mia: Then what does it all amount to?
米娅:那这个社团究竟意味着什么?
Nathan: If anyone asks us about it, we deny its existence. We have a secret that no one else knows.
南森:要是有人问起这个社团,我们要矢口否认。我们这个秘密只有天知地知。
Mia: Not anymore.
米娅:现在可不是了。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载