'We thought someone had stolen the horse and cart. '
"我们还以为有人偷走马车了呢。"
'How foolish of you!Some important business made me change my plans.
"你们真蠢!我有要紧的事要办,所以改变了计划,
I'm on my way to Bath. I may visit Liddy at her sister's later.
我要去巴斯。我以后再到利蒂的姐姐家去看她。
I arrived home during the night,so I didn't wake Maryann up.
我晚上到的家,所以就没叫醒玛丽安,
I Just took the horse and cart myself.
自己赶出了马车。
Thank you for taking all this trouble,but it wasn't necessary.
谢谢你们费的这番周折,不过你们没必要。"
The gatekeeper opened the gate and she passed through.
守卡人打开卡门,她便出去了。
Coggan and Gabriel turned their horses and rode slowly home.
考根和盖伯瑞尔掉转马头,慢慢往回骑。
Gabriel said,'I think we'll keep this strange trip of hers to Bath a secret,Jan,'and Jan agreed.
盖伯瑞尔说:"我想,她这次到巴斯的奇怪旅行应该保密。"简说他也同意保密。
So at first the people of Weatherbury had no idea where she had gone.
这样,威瑟伯里的人起初并不知道她到了何处。
She stayed away for two weeks,and there were reports that she had been seen in Bath with Sergeant Troy.
她有两个星期没在,接着有人说在巴斯看见她同托伊中士在一起。
Gabriel knew in his heart that this must be true.
盖伯瑞尔心里知道这消息没错。
He worked as hard as ever on her farm,but all the time there was a deep ache inside him.
他虽然还像往常一样在她的农场里辛勤劳作,但心灵深处却一直在隐隐作痛。