But I didn’t see him again.I didn’t see him until late next afternoon.
可是我没有再见到他,直到第二天傍晚时分,我才又看到他。
I'd stopped the car at a sleepy little junction just across the border into Oklahoma to let a train pass by when he appeared across the tracks,he was leaning against a telephone pole.
我本来想把车停在进入俄克拉何马州边界,一处安静的铁路交叉路口,让火车先通过,可是我又看到他,斜靠着一根电话杆。
It was a perfectly airless, dry day.
那是个相当窒闷、干燥的日子。
The red clay of Oklahoma was baking under the southwestern sun, yet there were spots of fresh rain on his shoulders.
西南方太阳把俄克拉何马州的红泥土地烤得快干了,但他肩膀上仍留下雨刚溅湿的点点痕迹。
I couldn’t stand there!
我不能站在这里!
Without thinking, blindly, I started the car across the tracks.
连想都没想,我瞎了眼似的开动车子冲过铁道。
He didn't even look up at me.
他甚至没有抬头看我。
He was staring at the ground.
眼睛睛盯着地面。
I stepped on the gas hard, veering the wheel sharply toward him.
我猛踩油门, 转动方向盘朝他撞上去。
I could hear the train in the distance now, but I didn’t care.
我可以听到那头火车急驰而来的声音,可是我已经管不了那么多!
Then, something went wrong with the car.
这时车子好像出了点毛病,卡住了。
The train was coming closer.
火车越驶越近。
I could hear its bell ringing and the cry of its whistle!
我听见铃声响亮、汽笛尖叫的声音!
Still he stood there.
可他依然站在那儿。
And now I knew that he was beckoning, beckoning me to my death.
这会儿我终于明白,他在召唤我,召唤我走向我的死亡。