Or the people who see a trend toward inequality and a decline in opportunity
还是那些认为不平等会加重 机会会减少
and don't think innovation will change that?
不认为创新能够改变这些趋势的人
The pessimists are wrong, in my view.
在我看来 悲观主义者是错误的
But they are not crazy.
但他们的想法并不疯狂
If innovation is purely market driven,
如果创新纯粹是市场驱使的
and we don't focus on the big inequities,
没人关心不平等的加剧
then we could have amazing advances in inventions
那么世界就算有再多美妙发明也是白搭
that leave the world even more divided.
只能让世界分化越发严重
We won't improve public schools.
我们将无法改善公立学校条件
We won't end malaria.
我们将无法根除疟疾
We won't end poverty.
我们将无法根除贫困
We won't develop the innovations poor farmers need
我们将无法开发出贫苦农民所需的创新
to grow food in a changing climate.
让他们能在变化的气候条件下种出作物
If our optimism doesn't address the problems
如果我们的乐观不能解决这些问题
that affect so many of our fellow human beings,
不能帮助很多需要帮助的同胞
then our optimism needs more empathy.
那么这种乐观就需要更多同情心
If empathy channels our optimism,
如果同情心能够引导我们的乐观
we will see the poverty and the disease and the poor schools.
我们就肯定能看到贫困 疾病和糟糕教育条件
We will answer with our innovations
我们就肯定能通过创新给出答案
and we will surprise the pessimists.
我们就肯定能让悲观主义者大吃一惊