卡尔:咱们叫一辆出租车吧。
Doris: There’s no need. I’ve already ordered a car.
桃瑞丝:没有必要。我已经预定了一辆车了。
Carl: A limo? That’s too expensive.

Doris: No, I’m using a ridesharing service. It’s cheaper than a taxi. There’s no meter and we pay a set price.
桃瑞丝:不是的,我用的是拼车服务。比出租车划算。而且没有计价器,我们只需要支付固定的价格。
Carl: But how do we know it’s safe? How do we know the driver isn’t a criminal or an unsafe driver? Is he going to have car insurance? Do they do background checks?
卡尔:但是如何知道这种车安不安全?怎么知道司机不是罪犯或者黑司机?司机有汽车保险吗?司机的背景考核合格吗?
Doris: Even though it’s a peer-to-peer service, the drivers are carefully screened and the cars are tracked. Trust me. This ride will be safe.
桃瑞丝:虽然这是对等服务,但是司机也都经过仔细的审核,车辆也都有卫星定位。相信我。这辆车一定安全。
Carl: We don’t have much cash on us.
卡尔:可我们没带太多现金。
Doris: I have a credit card on file. No cash will change hands. Look, here’s our driver. Hello, Michael.
桃瑞丝:我有存档的信用卡。不涉及现金往来。看,咱们的司机到了。你好,迈克尔。
Carl: You know our driver?
卡尔:你认识司机?
Doris: He’s my son.
桃瑞丝:这是我儿子。
Carl: But why are you paying for a ride if your son is available to pick us up?
卡尔:既然你儿子有空来接我们,为什么你还要付钱给他?
Doris: He has his pride. He won’t take any money from me so we came up with a compromise: I hire his car whenever I need a ride to or from the airport. It works for us and there’s a bonus.
桃瑞丝:他有自己的原则。他不愿意白拿我的钱,所以我们想出了这一办法:无论何时有搭车的需求或者从机场返家,我会雇他的车。这对我们都好而且还有一个好处。
Carl: What’s that?
卡尔:什么好处?
Doris: I get to see my son every time I travel.
桃瑞丝:每次出门我都可以看到儿子。
Carl: That seems like a strange arrangement.
卡尔:这一安排听着怪怪的。
Doris: That may be so, but if you can’t get your son to visit more often, what’s a mother to do?
桃瑞丝:可能吧,但是如果儿子经常不去看望你,作为母亲,你能怎么办?
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载