No, Margot could not push a doll buggy in the parade as many of the smaller children would do, for Margot had never walked.
当然不行,玛戈特不能像许多小孩子那样在游行中推洋娃娃车,因为玛戈特从来没有走路过。
There was to be an operation soon.
很快就要动手术了。
The doctor promised that her limbs would be made strong as Philip’s, but that would not be until long after the parade.
医生保证她的四肢会像菲利普一样强壮,但这要等到游行结束后很久。
“We might get a wagon and pull her in it,” David suggested.
“我们可以找辆马车拉着她参加,”大卫建议道。
Philip was thinking.
菲利普在思考。
“Ben Ames is training his dog to pull his sister’s wagon.
“本·艾姆斯正在训练他的狗拉他妹妹的马车。
Now if we only had a dog or a goat,” he said.
现在如果我们只有一只狗或一只山羊就好了。”他说。
“I have an idea, David. Will you help me?”
“我有个主意,大卫。你能帮帮我吗?”
“Sure,” David agreed.
“当然,”大卫同意了。
“Can we fix up something for her to ride in?”
“我们能给她弄点东西让她坐进去吗?”
For an answer Philip ran into the house and returned with a book that had in it the picture of a sedan chair in which a lady was being carried by two men, one walking before and one behind.
菲利浦跑进屋里,拿着一本书回来,书上画着一张轿子,上面有两个男人抬着一位女士,两个男人一个在前面,一个在后面。
Philip went over and turned the box up on end.
菲利浦走过去,把箱子翻了个底朝天。
“Why couldn’t we make a sedan chair of this box?
“我们为什么不能把这个箱子做成轿子?
We can take the open side for the front, windows can be cut in the sides, and Margot can sit on cushions on the bottom.”
我们可以把打开的一面作为前面,窗户可以在侧面切割,玛戈特可以坐在底部的垫子上。”
He studied the picture a moment.
他研究了一会书上的图案。
“Mother has a couple of poles she uses for clothes-props.
“妈妈有几根用来做晾衣架的杆子。
We can fasten them to the box with bolts and use them for handles.
我们可以用螺栓把它们固定在箱子上,用作把手。
But how can we decorate it? I wonder—”
但是我们如何装饰它呢?我想知道-”