It must have been about two in the morning when I returned home.
我回到家时 肯定已是凌晨两点左右了
I tried to wake up my wife by ringing the doorbell,
我按响了门铃 试图唤醒我的妻子
but she was fast asleep,
但她睡得很熟
so I got a ladder from the shed in the garden,put it against the wall,
于是 我从花园的小棚里搬来了一个梯子 把它靠在墙边
and began climbing towards the bedroom window.
开始向卧室的窗口爬去
I was almost there when a sarcastic voice below said,
快要爬到窗口时 下面一个人用讽刺的口吻说
'I don't think the windows need cleaning at this time of the night.'
我看不必在夜里这个时候擦窗子吧
I looked down and nearly fell off the ladder when I saw a policeman.
我向下面看去 当我看清是一个警察时 差一点儿从梯子上掉下去
I immediately regretted answering in the way I did,
我回答了他的话 但马上又后悔不该那样说
but I said, 'I enjoy cleaning windows at night.'
我是这样说的 我喜欢在夜里擦窗子
'So do I,' answered the policeman in the same tone.
我也是的 警察用同样的声调回答
'Excuse my interrupting you.
请原谅我打断了您
I hate to interrupt a man when he's busy working, but
当一个人在忙着干活时 我是不愿意去打断他的
would you mind coming with me to the station?'
但请您跟我到警察局去一趟好吗
'Well, I'd prefer to stay here,' I said.
可我更愿意呆在这儿 我说
'You see. I've forgotten my key.'
您瞧 我忘带钥匙了
'Your what?' he called.
什么 他大声问
'My key,' I shouted.
钥匙 我喊道
Fortunately, the shouting woke up my wife
幸运得很 这喊声惊醒了我的妻子
who opened the window just as the policeman had started to climb towards me.
就在警察开始向我爬上来时 她打开了窗子