本剧主要讲述住在纽约长岛的西佛一家的日常生活故事,是中国大陆较早引进的国外情景喜剧,在中国从1990年一直播出至1994年。1990年代初期一经播出就引发了收视高潮,片中迈克开朗调皮的形象为广大观众所喜爱。而剧中西佛医生对子女采取启发式教育的方式,也让观众得到启示。
Mike: This is it - my Springsteen tickets.
麦克:是我的,一定是音乐会的票,
Maggie: When did they outgrow skateboards?
玛吉:他们什么时候才能讨厌溜冰板呢?
Jason: When you buy them a Camaro.
詹森:等你一架照相机,
Mike: Yeah. Ok, bye.
麦克:对,好的,再见!
Jason: Gonna see Springsteen, ah?
麦克:要去听音乐会,嗯?
Mike: Yeah, tomorrow night. It's gonna be awesome. Ladies and gentlemen the boss…
麦克:对,是明天晚上,一定很精彩,女士们,先生们,演出开始!
Carol: Wait, wait. I thought the Springsteen's concert was sold out.
卡罗尔:可我听说音乐会的票早就卖光了,
Mike: Sold out? Carol, to a man with connections, nothing's ever sold out. That just happened to be Seth Jameson, nephew of the man whose brother-in-law owns the hot dog concession of the coliseum.
麦克:卖光了?嗨,Carol,对路子多的人来说,什么卖不到?刚才的电话就是塞特吉姆森,他叔叔的小舅子在体育馆里面有个卖小吃的摊位,
Jason: Wow.
詹森:哇噢!
Carol: So, did you get tickets?
卡罗尔:那你弄到票了吗?
Mike: Did I get the tickets? Of course, I got tickets.
麦克:我弄到没有,票当然弄到了,
Carol: You did? Springsteen?
卡罗尔:弄到了?听音乐会?
Mike: Well, no. To the Icecapades. We have got very good seats, and two free hot dogs.
麦克:不,是喝冰酸梅汤,那的座位很舒服,还免费送2个热狗,
Carol: Talk about connections. Are those all-beef dogs?
卡罗尔:嗯,讲到关系门路,那么热狗是...纯牛肉的吗?
Maggie: Oh, it's too bad about the concert. You must be disappointed.
玛吉:音乐会的票那么难搞,你一定很失望吧?
Mike: Oh, no. I still got a couple of things going. I'll get the tickets. Alright, this is it. Hello, yes. Talk to me. Yeah, yeah. Ok, yeah I'll see you.
麦克:噢,不,没有问题,办法有的是,票我准能搞到,你看,办法来了,喂,对,你说吧,哦,是的,对,好吧,会头再说吧!
Jasen: No dice?
Mike: No. Jerry was sure he'd be able to get those tickets from his friend Chichi, but...
麦克:杰力原来说他的朋友“蛐蛐”能帮我们搞到票的,
Maggie: Chichi? Jason, our son knows people named Chichi?
玛吉:蛐蛐?Jason,他居然认识一个叫“蛐蛐”的人,
Jasen: Maggie, we cannot judge somebody's on the base of a name. Anyway, Mike you will say.
詹森:噢,mage,你怎么能从一个人的名字来判断一个人呢。Mike,请往下说,
Mike: Yes, Chichi's parole officer didn't think it would be such a good idea for him to scout tickets so close to the trial.
麦克:蛐蛐都快被审判了,可是他还在倒腾票呢,蛐蛐的假释监督人认为这样不好,
Jasen: Good judgments there Chichi.
詹森:你可真有眼力,蛐蛐,
Maggie: We are sorry, honey.