“爱”究竟是什么模样,也许没人能完完全全将其刻画清楚。不过,有一点是一定的。当你“爱”的时候,除了快乐,一定还有“付出”。有些付出是欣喜的,享受的,比如有人甘之如饴的为对方做饭操持;有些付出,却带有了“牺牲”的性质。
Garrett: You have to take the job. 你一定得接受那份工作。
Langford: No. No, I'm not gonna give up our relationship for a job. 不,不。我不会为了工作放弃我们的感情。
Garrett: No, no, no. Lookit, lookit. You need to take the job. You need to take the job. This is not about our relationship. This is about asking you to give up everything again, and I'm not gonna do it. I'm not gonna do it. And if you moved to New York, it'd be great for a little while. But you'd eventually resent me, and I can't live with that. I can't. I won't. 不,不。听着。你得接受这份工作。这不完全是我们感情的问题。这是让你再一次放弃一切的问题。我不会那么做。不会。并且,如果你搬到了纽约,一开始会很好。但是最终你还是埋怨我,而我不能接受那样的结果。我不能。也不会让它发生。
Langford: What's gonna happen to us? 那我们之间呢?
Garrett: We can't see each other every three months. That's not a relationship. 我们不能三个月见一次面。那不是谈恋爱。
Langford: But I love you. 但是,我爱你。
Langford在接到上期我们听到的那通电话之后,下决心放弃自己的工作,到纽约追随Garrett,这个决定也让Garrett一时欢欣不已。不过,在意识到Langford为了自己可能永远没有机会做自己喜欢的工作,Garrett决定离开。也就是上面我们听到的一段。不过,离开只是暂时的。真的想要在一起,想出办法只是迟早的事儿。一起再来听听最后的结局。
Langford:What are you doing here? 你怎么在这儿?
Garrett: I manage the band. 我是这个乐队的经纪人。
Langford: You do? 真的?
Garrett: Yes. Ha, ha. Crazy, I know. 是的。很疯狂,我知道。
Langford: Really? 真是这样?
Garrett: Yeah. 是的。
Garrett: That's... That's great. Really? 太棒了。是真的?
Garrett: Yeah. Yeah. 是的。
Langford: Wow. 哇。
Garrett: No, I left the label. You were right, as it turns out I hated the hell out of my job. 我离开了那个唱片公司。你是对的,事实证明我痛恨那份工作。
Langford: Well, I hate to say "I told you so." 我不想说“我早说过”。
Garrett: No, you don't. You love saying "I told you so." 不,你想说。你就爱说“我早说过”。
Langford: You're right. 是的。你说的对。
Garrett: Who are you kidding? 也不看看我是谁。
Langford: So are you living in New York? 你现在住在纽约?
Garrett: I actually just moved to Los Angeles. 事实上,我搬到了洛杉矶。
Langford: Really? 真的吗?
Garrett: Yeah. The band actually lives in L.A. And, I don't know if you know this, I know you're not a huge geography fan...but L.A. is not only in the same time zone as San Francisco... it's in the same state. So...是的。乐队的大本营在洛杉矶。我不知道你了解不了解,我知道你不太喜欢地理,洛杉矶和旧金山在一个时区。他们在一个州。所以……
Langford: Yeah. It's very close. 是啊。离的很近。
Garrett: Yeah. It's a one-hour flight. 是。一个小时的飞机。
Langford: A six-hour drive. 开车六个小时。
Garrett: Eighteen-hour hot-air balloon ride. If you were to go that way. Can I ask you a question? 坐热气球需要十八个小时,如果你愿意试试的话。可以问你个问题吗?
Langford: Yeah. 恩。
Garrett: I don't know what your situation is...I miss you. 我不了解你目前的状况怎样,我想你。
两段对话都很口语化,也没有很多生涩词汇。这里简要说一下it turns out that这一结构。
turns out 有“结果”的意思。比如:How did the swim team tryouts turn out? 游泳队的选拔结果如何?
It turns out that…这一结构一般翻译为“事实证明;实际上”。That可以省略。比如:It turns out there are some regional variations in the meaning of wealth around the world. 实际上,财富在不同区域有不同的意义。
如果生活中真有一个Garrett和Langford,我们无法预测接下来的短距离双城爱情还会如何继续。不管怎样,我们还是由衷的祝福有情人能终成眷属吧。