大家好,今天我们继续电影《闻香识女人》。Charlie因为目睹几个学生戏弄校长而被迫坐在了所谓的证人席位上,但是,伪善又狭隘的校长却将无法解决问题的责任全部推到了Charlie身上。Charlie在不安中坚守着自己的原则。
Headmaster: Mr. Simms. 西门先生。
Charlie: Yes. 在。
Headmaster: You don't wear contact lenses①, do you? 你不戴隐形眼镜吧?
Charlie: No, sir. 不戴。
Headmaster: With your untrammeled sight, whom did you see? 在你无碍的视野内你看到谁了?
Charlie: Well, I saw…I saw something, but I-I-I I couldn't say who. 我是看到一些人。但不能讲是谁。
Headmaster: All right. What was the something you saw? 你看到的是什么?
Charlie: I-I couldn't say. 我不能说。
Headmaster: You couldn't say or you wouldn't say? 不能说或不想说?
Charlie: Well, I just..I.. I just couldn't say. I'm…不,我只是,我不能说。
Headmaster: Couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't. You're exhausting my patience...and making a mockery of ②these proceedings. I will give you one last chance. The consequences of your response will be dire. By dire I mean your future will be jeopardized permanently. Now for the last time, what did you see last Tuesday night...outside my office? 不能,不想,不该,你在磨我的耐性和愚弄大家。回答我,否则后果堪忧。堪忧,西门先生。你的未来将受永久伤害。现在,我最后一次问…上周二晚上你看到谁在停车场?
Charlie: I saw somebody. 我看到某些人。
Headmaster: "l saw somebody." Good. Did you see their size and shape? "我看到某些人",好。看到他们的身材面貌了?
Charlie: Yeah. 是。
Headmaster: And they were the size and shape of whom? 是谁的身材,面貌?
Charlie: They were the size and shape of most any Baird student, sir. 那些特征看来像任何博德学生,先生。
Headmaster: I am left with no real witness. Mr. Willis's testimony is not only vague, it is unsubstantiated. The substance I was looking for, Mr. Simms, was to come from you. 我竟没有一个人证!威利斯先生的证词模糊不清。我所寻找的线索,西门先生,应该来自于你。
Charlie: I'm sorry. 很抱歉。
Headmaster: I'm sorry too, Mr. Simms, because you know what I'm going to do, inasmuch③ as I can't punish Mr. Havemeyer, Mr. Potter or Mr. Jameson, and I won't punish Mr. Willis. He's the only party④ to this incident who is still worthy of calling himself a Baird man. I'm going to recommend to the Disciplinary Committee that you be expelled. Mr. Simms, you are a cover-up artist⑤ and you are a liar. 我也抱歉,西门先生。既然如此,我不能处罚海夫梅尔先生,波特先生或詹姆森先生,我也不会处罚威利斯先生,他是唯一配称"博德人"的份子。我建议生活委员会,开除你。你隐瞒真相,又撒谎……
因为不愿揭发同学保全自己,Charlie得到了不公平的对待。当然,坐在一边的Colonel中校不可能善罢甘休。他有很多话要说,既是为Charlie讨公平,也是对个人情感的宣泄。下一期我们一同欣赏阿尔帕西诺精彩的大段演说。现在,我们来大致了解上面的对话中个别的知识点。
1.contact lenses “隐形眼镜”。现在我们常说的“美瞳” 就用cosmetic contacts“装饰性隐形眼镜”来表示。
2.make a mockery of, mockery “嘲弄”,短语意思为 “把……当作笑料;糟蹋;嘲弄”。比如:It is impolite to make a mockery of those in misfortune. 嘲笑不幸的人是极其不礼貌的。
3.inasmuch, 是一个单词,用作连词,表示“因为,鉴于” 后面接as。比如:I did not criticize her acting, inasmuch as I really did not feel competent. 我没有去评论她的演技,因为我的确觉得自己在这方面不在行。
4.the only party, party在口语中就有“人”的意思。在法律用语中,party也可以指“当事人”。
5.a cover-up artist, cover-up,有“掩盖;隐藏”的意思,a cover-up artist特指“隐瞒真相的高手”。
本期内容就到这里,我们下期再见。