"I hope he has had no bad news, " said Lady Middleton. "It must be something extraordinary that could make Colonel Brandon leave my breakfast table so suddenly. "
“但愿他没有收到坏消息,”米德尔顿夫人说。“一定有要紧的事,不然布兰登上校不会这么突然离开我的饭桌。”
In about five minutes he returned.
大约过了五分钟,他又回来了。
"No bad news, Colonel, I hope;" said Mrs. Jennings, as soon as he entered the room.
“上校,我想没有坏消息吧,”他刚走进房里,詹宁斯太太便说道。
"None at all, ma'am, I thank you. "
“绝对没有,太太,谢谢你。”
"Was it from Avignon? I hope it is not to say that your sister is worse. "
“是从阿维尼翁寄来的吧?但愿信里别说你妹妹病势加重了。”
"No, ma'am. It came from town, and is merely a letter of business. "
“没说,太太。信是从城里寄来的,只是一封公函。”
"But how came the hand to discompose you so much, if it was only a letter of business? Come, come, this won't do, Colonel; so let us hear the truth of it. "
“倘若只是一封公函,怎么能使你这么心烦意乱呢?得了,得了,这不可能。上校,把事情的真相说出来吧。”
"My dear madam, " said Lady Middleton, "recollect what you are saying. "
“我的好妈妈,”米德尔顿夫人说,“看你说些啥呀。”
"Perhaps it is to tell you that your cousin Fanny is married?" said Mrs. Jennings, without attending to her daughter's reproof.
“也许是告诉你,你的表妹要出嫁啦?”詹宁斯太太说,对女儿的责备置若罔闻。
"No, indeed, it is not. "
“不,真的不是那回事儿。”
可可原创,转载请注明出处。