Never Too Busy
永不太忙
“It would be a major feat if I can make it through today,” Ruth said.
“如果我能完成今天所有的任务,那该是一大壮举。”鲁思说。
“I have to wake up early to feed my dog. He's been looking feeble, but I think he's just feigning for attention.
“我必须要早起喂狗。他看上去很衰弱,不过我想他是为了让我关心他而假装的。
Then I have to submit my report on feminism.
然后,我得交关于女权运动的报告,
I have to ferret out my original research.
还得搜出研究论文的原稿。
I'm not a feminist, so it has been very difficult for me to write about it.
我不是女权主义者,所以写着方面的文章很不容易。
At 8:00 a.m., I have fencing class.
上午八点我要上击剑课,
Then I have wine making class.
然后是酿酒工艺课。
We're learning about the fermentation process.
目前我们在学发酵过程。
I think we'll be fermenting red grapes.”
我想我们就要会酿制红葡萄酒了。”
“Don't you have any breaks?” Lydia asked.
“没有休息一下吗?”利迪娅问。
“No,” replied Ruth.
“没有,”鲁思说,
“I'll be riding the ferry across the river to the zoo.
“我要开渡船过河去动物园,
I'll be visiting a pair of panda bears.
去看一对熊猫。
The female has reached a fertile age.
那只雌熊猫已经到了繁殖年龄,
The zoo is hoping that the male will fertilize her.
动物园希望雄熊猫能使她受精。
After that, I'll be viewing the fertilized egg of an ostrich.”
然后我还要去察看鸵鸟的受精卵。”
“What's next?” Lydia asked.
“接下来呢?”利迪娅问。
“I need to spread fertilizer on the grass in the front yard,” Ruth replied,
“我要给前院的草地施肥,”鲁思回答,
“Then I need to check the wound on my dog's paw.
“然后要检查一下小狗爪子的伤口,
I'm afraid it might fester if I don't get medicine for it.”
我担心如果不给它上点药,伤口会化脓的。”
“Do you feel fettered by your dog?” asked Lydia.
“你觉得小狗拖累你吗?”利迪娅问。
“No, I am a fervent animal lover,” replied Ruth.
“不,我对小动物有着强烈的爱。”鲁思回答。
“Any of my dog's sad eyes always stirs the fervor in my heart.”
“爱犬悲伤的眼神总会激起我心中的热情。”
“What will you be doing in the afternoon?” Lydia asked.
“那下午做什么?”利迪娅问。
“I have to finish my report on the feudal warlords of the 19th century,” Ruth said. “What is a feud, anyway?”
“必须写完一份关于19世纪封建军阀的报告,”鲁思说,“到底什么是不共戴天之仇?”
“It's what you and I are going to have if you don't save some time for me,” replied Lydia.
“就是指如果你不再留些时间给我,我们之间就回产生的东西。”利迪娅回答。
“It's my birthday and I'm feeling a bit sad.”
“今天是我的生日,我感到 有些悲哀。”
“How about a festive drink at 8:00 p.m.?” Ruth asked.
“那晚上八点来一次节日酒宴怎么样?”鲁思问。