UNIT 5 Culture Shapes Us
第五单元 文化塑造我们
Lesson 37: The Fox and the Stork
第37课:狐狸与白鹳
THINK ABOUT IT!
想一想!
Do you know any stories with animals as characters?
你知道什么动物人物的故事吗?
What are they?Have you ever been called "rude"?
是什么?你曾被人说“粗鲁”吗?
When and why?What foods do the stork and the fox struggle to eat?
什么时候?为什么? 鹳与狐狸不喜欢吃什么?
At Danny's dinner,Jenny and I didn't like the food.
在丹尼的晚餐上,我和珍尼不喜欢那些食物。
In this story,the food is fine,but something else is wrong.
在这个故事中,食物是好的,但是别的东西出错了。
This story comes from an ancient Greek story by Aesop.
这个故事来源于古老的希腊故事《伊索寓言》。
Aesop left many stories.
伊索留下了很多故事。
Most of them are about animals,from which you can learn about the society.
大部分故事是关于动物的,从中你可以了解到社会。
One day,a fox met a stork.
一天,一只狐狸遇见了一只白鹳。
The stork was different from the other animals that the fox had met.
白鹳与狐狸所见过的其他动物都不同。
He thought she was wonderful.
他想她真奇妙。
"Would you like to have dinner with me?" the fox asked.
“和我一起吃晚饭好吗?”狐狸问。
"Yes.It's very kind of you.
“可以。你真好。
When shall I come?" the stork replied.
我应该什么时候来?”白鹳回答道。
"Please come tomorrow night," the fox said.
“请明天晚上来吧。”狐狸说。
The next day,the fox made some delicious soup.
第二天,狐狸做了一些可口的汤。
When the stork arrived,she was very hungry.
白鹳到那时,已经非常饿了。
"Are you ready for dinner?" asked the fox.
“准备好吃晚饭了吗?”狐狸问。
"Certainly," said the stork,who was doing her best to be polite.
“当然了,”白鹳说,她尽量使自己礼貌些。
The fox brought the soup in large,flat bowls.
狐狸用大平碗端来了汤。
He put the bowls on the table.
他把碗放在桌子上。
The fox ate his soup quickly.
狐狸很快就喝完了汤。
The stork,though,could not eat her soup at all.
而白鹳根本就没有喝汤。
Her beak was too long for the flat bowl.
对于那个平碗来说她的喙太长了。
"Would you like some more soup?" the fox asked.
“想再来点汤吗?”狐狸问。
"Thank you.I've had enough," the stork answered,politely but sadly.
“谢谢,我吃饱了。”白鹳既有礼貌又伤心地回答。
"Don't you like soup?" the fox asked,surprised.
“你不喜欢这个汤吗?”狐狸吃惊地问道。
"Yes,I love soup," said the stork.
“不,我喜欢这个汤,”白鹳说。
"That's strange!You've hardly eaten anything!" said the fox.
“很奇怪!你几乎什么都没吃!”狐狸说,
"Well,I'm still hungry."
“嗯,我还是很饿。”
And very rudely,he ate another bowl of soup.
他非常粗鲁地又喝了一碗汤。
Finally,the stork said,"Fox,thank you for cooking this delicious meal.
最后,白鹳说:“狐狸,感谢你做了这么美味的一顿饭。
Please come to my home tomorrow,and I will cook a meal for you."
请明天来我家,我也为你做一顿饭。”
"Fine!" said the fox.He felt happy.
“好啊!”狐狸说。他感到很高兴。
The next day,the fox went to the stork's house.
第二天,狐狸去了白鹳家。
The stork had made some delicious noodles.
白鹳做了一些好吃的面条。
The fox could smell them as he came into her house.
狐狸在进她家时就闻到了味道。
"Would you like something to drink?" the stork asked the fox.
“想喝点什么吗?”白鹳问狐狸。
"I have made some nice,hot tea."
“我泡了一些不错的热茶。”
The fox,who didn't like tea,said "Just a little,please."
不喜欢茶的狐狸说:“请来一点点。”
He was doing his best to be polite.
他尽力表现得礼貌些。
The stork brought the tea.
白鹳端来了茶。
"The noodles are almost ready," she said.
“面条快好了,”她说,
"I will bring them."
“我会端来的。”
The stork fetched two tall,thin jars.
白鹳端来了两只高高的细细的坛子。
"There are your noodles," she said.
“这是你的面条,”她说。
The stork stuck her long beak into her jar and ate happily.
白鹳把她的长喙伸进坛中高兴地吃起来。
The fox,though,couldn't eat any noodles at all.
而狐狸根本没有吃面条。
His nose was too short for the jar.
对于那坛子来说他的鼻子太短了。
He could only smell the delicious food,down at the bottom.
他只能闻到坛底美味的食物。
Finally,the stork spoke.
最终,白鹳说话了。
"I know you are hungry,fox.But I am not sorry," she said.
“狐狸,我知道你饿了。但是我并不感到抱歉,”她说。
"When I came to your house last night,you did not make me welcome.
“当我昨晚到你家时,你没有使我感到受欢迎。
You didn't regard me as a guest.
你没有把我当作一个客人。
I was polite,but you were not."
我很礼貌,但是你却没有。”
"Stork,I am sorry.I didn't realize that my ways were not your ways."
“白鹳,我很抱歉。 我没有意识到适合我的方式却不适合你。”
The fox felt bad.
狐狸感觉糟糕极了。
"That's okay," the stork said.
“没关系,”白鹳说,
"We can still be friends.But from now on,let's help each other."
“我们还是朋友。 但是从现在起,我们要互相帮助。”
"I promise!" said the fox."May I please have a plate now?
“我保证!”狐狸说,“现在我可以用一个盘子吗?
These noodles smell wonderful."
这些面条闻起来棒极了。”
"Certainly," said the stork.
“当然可以,”白鹳说。
adj. 粗鲁的,无礼的
adj. 粗糙