UNIT 5 Culture Shapes Us
第五单元 文化塑造我们
Lesson 39: Memories of Canada
第39课: 回忆加拿大
To:jenny@compmail.caFrom:Li-Ming@net.cn
至:jenny@compmail.ca 来自:Li-Ming@net.cn
Subject: Little North America Date:09/05 6:58 PM
主题: 小北美 日期: 5月9日下午6:58
Dear Jenny,
亲爱的珍妮:
I was very interested to read your e-mail about "Little North America."
我对你有关“小北美”的电子邮件很感兴趣。
It made me remember my own visit to Canada.
它让我想起了自己去加拿大的旅行。
You welcomed me into your home,and you were wonderful hosts.
你们欢迎我到你家去,你们真是非常好的主人。
It was very strange,though,being a guest in a different country and a different culture.
但处于不同的国家和不同的文化里,做为客人的感觉仍然很奇怪。
When I had my first breakfast in Canada,I asked your mother if you had any chopsticks!
我在加拿大第一次吃早饭时,我还问你妈妈是否有筷子!
In Canada,I ate so many things that I had never eaten before.
在加拿大,我吃到了许多从未吃过的东西。
But the food wasn't the only thing that was strange.
不过食物并不是唯一令人感到奇怪的东西。
Compared to China,Canada doesn't have many people.
与中国相比,加拿大没有多少人。
Even in the city,it felt like there was so much space!
即使是在市里,也会感觉到很空旷!
It also seemed strange not to hear my own language.
听不到自己的语言也很奇怪。
Sometimes it made my head hurt to speak English all day.
有时整天说英语真是让我头疼。
I was happy when you offered to take me to Chinatown.
你们带我去唐人街的时候我真的很高兴。
For that whole afternoon,I felt like I was at home.
整个下午,我就感觉像是在家里一样。
It was so nice when we walked into the grocery store.
我们走进杂货店时感觉好极了。
It smelled just like a store in my own city!
那里的味道很像我家乡的小店的味道!
And do you remember the man who served us lunch at the restaurant that day?
你记得那天在饭店招待我们的那个人吗?
He was from Shijiazhuang,just like me!It was fun.
他来自石家庄,和我一样!真是有趣。
The Chinese people in Canada are very proud,and they work hard to keep their culture alive.
在加拿大的中国人很骄傲,他们很努力地使自己的文化存活下来。
It must be hard to do that,when Western culture is all around them.
那一定很困难,因为周围都是西方文化。
It's good that Canadians accept other people.
很庆幸加拿大人能够接纳其他人。
Though I was glad to come home again,I will never forget the welcome I received in Canada.
虽然我很高兴又回到家里,但我绝不会忘记我在加拿大受到的礼遇。
Li Ming
李明
Would you like to visit Canada?
你想参观加拿大吗?
LET'S DO IT!
做一做!
Write in your diary about a trip you took to a place with a different culture.
把你去一个拥有不同文化的地方旅行的经历写进日记。
Talk about why you went there and what made the trip unforgettable or special.
谈谈你为什么去那里,什么使得这次旅行不同或特别
You can also talk about an imaginary trip.
你也可以谈谈一次假想的旅行。
adj. 想象的,虚构的