"Because I got help from someone else," she said.
“因为我从别人那儿已得到帮助了, ”她说道。
"Why didn't you write to Sir Charles and tell him? "
“为什么您没有写信给查尔斯爵士并告诉他呢?”
"I was going to, but I saw in the newspaper the next morning that he had died."
“我是打算这么做的,但在第二天早上我在报纸上看到了他已死的消息。”
I asked Mrs Lyons a number of other questions, but she did not change her story,
我问了莱昂丝太太许多别的问题,但是她不管我怎么问都不肯改口。
whatever I asked her. I was sure that she was telling the truth. I could check two important parts of the story.
我敢保证她讲了实话。我可以验证一下她的叙述中关键的两点。
If they were right, there could be no doubt that she was telling the truth.
如果这两处正确无误,那么无疑她是在讲真话。
I could check that she had begun to get her divorce at about the time of Sir Charles'death.
我可以调查一下,看看她在查尔斯爵士逝去之时是否真的开始为离婚而忙乎着。
I could also check that she had not been to Baskerville Hall on the night of Sir Charles'death.
我还可以调查一下,看看她是否在查尔斯爵士逝去的当晚真的没去巴斯克维尔庄园。
But I was not sure that she had told me the whole truth.
但是我不敢肯定她是否已告诉了我全部实情。
Why had she nearly fainted when I had told her about the letter?
当我告诉她关于这封信的事情时她为何几乎要晕了过去呢?
That was not completely explained by the story she had told me.
这点由她告诉我的故事不能完全解释得通。
I had discovered all I could for the moment.
目前我已竭尽全力去发现探索了。
I left her, and went to search for more information in a different place.
我离开了她,到一个与之有别的地方搜寻更多的信息去了。